𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞. narrative

"are you sure about this?" casie asks from shakira's bed. "if you want me to come so you're not uncomfortable, you know i will."

vinnie was on his way to pick shakira up so they could "catch up", whatever that meant, and she was currently being grilled by casie as to whether this was really a good idea.

"i'll be fine, case. it's only lunch, and i'll keep him at arms length. i promise." shakira promises her best friend.

"i don't know kira...." casie trails off. shakira whips her body around to her best friend, her eyebrows furrowed.

"what? do you not trust me or something? why wouldn't you trust your own best friend." shakira questions casie in a excusing tone.

casie rolls her eyes, forgetting shakira was easily offended. "of course i trust you shakira. it's him i don't trust. like why does he all of the sudden want to be buddy buddy with you again? and you know gavyn is at least a little bit uncomfortable with all of this." she points out. 

"he said he understood, and that he was fine with it. plus, it's not like i'm going to have sex with him. it's lunch. casie just get off my back and let me handle this. don't you have a boyfriend to go do other shit with anyways?" shakira snaps back with a sharp attitude.

casie rolls her eyes slightly at her best friends nasty, but usual attitude. "i'm just watching out for you kira. don't do anything stupid." she stands in front of shakira, her head slightly titled.

shakira notices the look on casie's face, feeling instant regret. she didn't mean to snap at her, it was just a trait that shakira had that she wasn't the proudest of. very few people knew how to deal with it, but she was grateful for them, like she was grateful for casie.

"i'm sorry, cas, i'm just a little nervous." she admits.

"don't be. as annoying as he is, i don't think he'd do anything to seriously hurt you. he's not stupid. casie reassures shakira.

that's when shakira's phone dings, and it's a text from vinnie saying he was outside.

"speaking of the devil." shakira jokes, motioning to her phone. casie hugs her one more time before sending her on her way.

SHAKIRA WALKS OUT OF her apartment building, spotting vinnie's car almost immediately. she takes a deep breath before she makes it to the car.

as she gets in, vinnie is watching her silently, his left hand rested on the steering wheel, the other on the middle console.

vinnie greets her, pulling out into the road to their destination. shakira responds back, feeling slightly awkward.

after a few minutes of awkward silence, vinnie sighs, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. "look. let's not make this awkward."

"i'm not being awkward, you're the awkward one here." shakira defends.

"okay, okay i was just saying."

shakira sighs, realizing she came off a little harsh. "sorry, this is just a little weird for me, being around you again." she says honestly.

the girl had a tendency to always be honest with vinnie. maybe it was because they have so much history that it's hard to lie to him, or the fact that he really does know her so well that she wouldn't be able to lie to him regardless, but she tended to never lie to him.