Chapter fourteen : He loves me, He loves me not...

"You know, Nanami, I do not think it is actually a good idea for you to go back there."

She raised an eyebrow as Zetsu contemplated her seriously.

"And why not? Have I done something I shouldn't have?"

"No. This is not about that. I just think the old man actually knows you are not his niece, and this is getting too dangerous. I did think indeed that you befriending his two sons was a good idea, but not pretending you are his brother's daughter. But we had no other choice anyway given your appearance."

"But I still need to see them again if we want the plan to work, right?"

"Yeah, but you must not go back to the man's home any longer. But then if they think you are supposed to be on the Moon..." he sighed in frustration. "It makes things more complicated for us."

Wait, something did not seem logical to her?

"But if he has been suspecting me, then why has he kept pretending I was truly his niece?" she couldn't help wondering.

"That is simply in order not to raise our own suspicions, to let us think our plan is working well.  You are not that stupid, Nanami, are you?"

She glanced down as she was sitting crossed-legged in their lair. She chose to ignore his remark.

"Does this mean Indra and Ashura know the truth as well?"

"No, I do not think they do. Or perhaps Indra only, but certainly not that stupid second son of his. He would have told you had he known and his attitude towards you would have changed."

Nanami sighed. If the Sage knew what they were planning, then the whole thing was already ruined...

"Do not look so sad and thoughful, Nanami. We will succeed, no matter what it takes. We just need to remain extremely careful. We are more clever and cunning than they are anyway."

She trusted her big brother. She knew they could do it if he said so. But it was true that this whole thing was not that easy...

"What about Indra and Ashura then? How do I do to see them again without us suspecting me?"

Her brother put on a thinking face as he stayed still in his spot in front of her.

"Hmm...Just focus on Indra. No one cares about this Ashura moron. He is not important to our plan. I think it is not too late for you to join him in his journey. It has only been a few days."

Nanami's cheeks became flushed and she could not understand why.

"But..what will I do alone with him? It will be awkward..."

"Not that much. You have got used to them by now, haven't you? Besides, he is pretty much like you in his temperament.  So there is no need for you to worry."

Yes, she had got used to their presence and personalities, but she was still the same girl as she was when she had first met them both. Nothing had changed. Except for a few weird things she had been feeling, but she guessed it was normal after staying for so long near them.

But she could do it. As long as her brother still belieevd in her. She could do anything she wanted to.

***

After crossing the country for a whole day, she ended up finding him with the help of her Byakūgan.

"Indra!"

The brown-haired male stopped in his tracks and turned around to watch her move forward towards him.

"Nanami?" He looked surprised to see her there. "What are you doing here?"