4

Harry and Louis walk down the sidewalk, the twinkle and neon glow of New York City by night dancing all around them. They pass couples holding hands, groups of friends laughing. It's a gorgeous night, and everyone seems to be starting the weekend in good spirits.

"So I kind of have a lot more questions for you..." Harry says breaking the silence between the two.

"Ask and you shall receive," Louis says glancing at Harry.

"Can you fly?"

"No. And for the record, I cannot turn into a bat either," Louis jokes.

"Aw, really?" Harry teases.

"That's just an old wives' tale, based on the fact that we're both nocturnal."

"Bats are awfully cute though."

"Oh, they're adorable. And often rabid."

"Are you super-strong?"

"Depends on your definition of 'super-strong'."

"Could you lift a car?"

"Sure."

"That's... my definition of super-strong."

"That would be a yes, then," Louis shrugs.

"Does sunlight hurt you?"

"Yes."

"Oh wow... So like one ray of light and poof?"

"Not exactly. I wouldn't turn to ash in an instant, but it's very painful, and would be fatal within half an hour or so. Think of it like a hypersensitivity... like accelerated heatstroke," Louis explains.

"The heavy curtains in your office suddenly make a lot of sense," Harry notes.

"Can you eat garlic?" Harry asks.

"It's a minor annoyance. More like a general distaste," Louis answers.

"So if I told you I know this old school pizza place that makes the best garlic rolls in the world?" Harry asks teasingly.

"I'd pass."

"How many vampires are there?"

"In this world? I'm not sure. There are many places where my kind still has to hide our true nature," Louis says.

"How about in New York?"

"180."

"That's... a very precise number."

"It is."

"Anything else?" Louis asks.

"Have... you ever killed anyone?" Harry quietly asks almost inaudible.

Louis is quiet for a moment, seemingly considering how to answer...

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" Harry starts but Louis cuts him off with his answer.

"Yes. I have," Louis frowns thinking about it.

Upon seeing Harry's surprised and slightly scared face he is quick to assure him, "But not recently. I don't. Not anymore."

Harry nods slightly and tries to take in all this information while another question lingered in the back of his mind.

"There's something else on your mind."

Harry pauses for a second and glances at Louis for a moment, "Can you read minds?"

Louis' mouth lifts up in a slight smirk, "I can."

Harry immediately turns a beet red and hangs his head, suddenly feeling embarrassed. Louis chuckles at the boy and raises his head by placing his index finger under his chin and raising his head up, cooing at the sight of his red cheeks.