the mind flayer

part three

the two friends had rejoined the group after lydia collected herself. the message that nancy had written out in red crayon was clear.

C L O S E G A T E

the ringing of the phone echoed through the house and startled everyone at the table. dustin ran to the phone and quickly slammed it back on the receiver. the quiet issued a sigh of relief over everyone but it was short-lived because after a second it started up again. lydia ran over and pulled the phone out of the wall and threw it on the floor, her heart racing. if will heard the phone, he knew where he was. if he knew where he was, then they were all in danger. she turned around and looked at everyone in the room as they reached the same conclusion that she had come to. max spoke up.

"do you think he heard that?" lydia was hoping that he didn't. she was hoping that he would just assume it was from anywhere. but she knew that he was too smart for that. 

"it's just a phone. it could be anywhere, right?" steve pondered. distant screeches made their stomachs turn and they all looked in the direction of the sound. 

"that's not good." 

~

"can either of you use these?" hopper held up two big guns as he looked at steve and jonathan but neither of them answered. 

"i can." nancy spoke up and caught the gun as he threw it to her.

"i can take the other one." lydia took the other gun and they both aimed it at the door as they waited for something to attack them. it was close now. the snarling of the creature sounded like it was right outside and the movement in the bushes confirmed their suspicions. 

but then there was the awful sound again. the sound that the creatures made when they were in pain. and then it was done. it was quiet for a moment before something crashed through the window and landed on the floor. a demogorgan. dead.

everyone kept their eyes on it as hopper took slow steps toward it. he lightly kicked it, but it still laid still. but this raised the question, what could have killed it? 

then, the door unlocked and as it creaked open a familiar face walked through the door way. 

el.

A/N: just a small filler chapter, sorry :( so sorry i made y'all wait but i've been swamped with college and work stuff. i did not proofread this so it might just be utter shit but whatever i'll fix it later. also i love reading everyone's comments its the best. thank you for reading this! i'll try and update again really soon.