Chapter 24

It was a few days later when Nyla was lounging on the pool deck in their rental home. It was an indoor pool, stylishly designed with clear glass windows rising from the floor to the ceiling. The roof was shaped into a large hexagonal dome, with a circular window close to the top out of which bright sunlight shone down into the middle of the pool. The hot tub was also shaped into a small hexagon and was foaming and frothing with hot water that streamed out in large jets. The pool itself was a large oval shape, large enough for her brothers to do a few laps in without bumping into each other.

Nyla sat lounging in her chair reading a book and enjoying the humidity of the room. Large banana plants protruded from large white pots that were scattered around the perimeter of the room. The pool deck was a brown wooden color that had an orange tint to it which shone in the sunlight. It also had two tables and a few chairs placed around the room.

A few moments later, the door opened, and the triplets came into view. Nyla lazily lifted her head before looking down again into her book.

"Remember that one time you sneezed and I said "yarhamukillah?" Deen began.

"And that one time I held the door open for you?" Haaris added.

"And that one time I passed you the salt when we were eating?" Shaam asked.

"No," Nyla said, barely acknowledging them. She was trying to enjoy some time to herself and didn't want to be bothered by them.

"Well, remember that one time in Mrs. Knight's classroom when we saved you from trouble?"

This got Nyla's attention for she remembered the incident quite well. She finally looked up at the three of them. They were dressed identically, in red t-shirts and black jeans. Their flaming red hair was left completely untamed and disheveled, and their light spray of freckles seemed more pronounced in the bright light.

Nyla felt cornered in her chair as they stood around her, green eyes gleaming brightly, like a pack of hungry wolves about to corner their prey.

"What do you want," Nyla demanded, with confidence, although she felt anything but confident.

"Keys," Deen said.

"What? Whose keys?"

Haaris rolled his eyes.

"The car keys?" Shaam said.

"Why can't you get it yourself.?" Nyla asked, crossing her arms.

This time Deen rolled his eyes. "We can, but it'll be quicker if you do it because Zain won't suspect you at all."

Nyla stiffened at the mention of Zain.

"And here I thought Asad or Anwar might have it, but Zain? How do you expect me to get it from him? And why do I have to ask him for it."

Deen facepalmed, and Shaam sighed.

"You can't ask him for it, you have to get it from him without him knowing." Haaris said in exasperation.

"What? You want me to steal it from him? Never. Do you know what he'll do if he finds out?"

"He won't find out," Deen assured her.

Shaam nodded.

"And why would I risk my neck for you?"

"Because you owe us." The three answered in sync.

Nyla put her face in her hands.

"How come we have to steal it."

"See I told you we should do it ourselves, she's wasting our time," Haaris said.