Chapter XVI: Just like a prayer

The church was filthy to the bone, the floors creaked with every step. The broken stained glass window above a large cross on the other side of the room gave the room an eerie glow. "Do you remember we used to come here and talk for hours?" Scarlett pronounced as she glided her hand over the red pue. "Yeah- I do," Ollie sighed as they made their way down the aisle, flurries began to descend through the large hole in the roof.

"Boo!" A voice boomed from behind them, Ollie turned around in surprise. "Who do we have here?" The figure approached them from the shadows. A beam of red light cast across his face. It was Brody Kingsley. He was muscular, your typical average highschool soccer buzzed, steroid infused jock. He didn't dress like it, but he sure acted like it.

Flashes of what he had done to him that day out on the field when they were kids flashed through his mind. "What are you doing here?" Ollie muttered softly. "I was about to ask you the same thing- queer," 2 other boys came out from the shadows. They were outnumbered now. The sidekicks were hideous. They always said they were brothers because of their features, but everybody knew they were full of shit. Brody came closer. "We were just passing through," Ollie said. Scarlett backed Ollie up. "What do you assholes want?" She asked. "Oh I don't know, we just wanted to see what you two were doing, surely pretty boy over here wouldn't fuck a girl like you- seeing as he's allergic to pussy..." Brody said as he began to get in Ollie's face.

His sidekicks laughed like the hyenas from The Lion King. "You fucking pig-" Scarlett hissed through clenched teeth. "Oh I'm a fucking pig?" Brody scoffed.
"Yeah," Scarlett said.
"Yeah!"
Ollie screamed as he swung his arm out and punched Brody in the nose. Brody jolted backwards from the shock. Ollie shook his hand in pain. "Fuck-" Scarlett laughed. "You Fuck!" Brody shrieked as he held his nose. Blood began to trickle down. "You are so fucking dead" Brody said through clenched teeth. Brody lunged at Ollie tackling him to the floor. He pinned him on the ground. His tube of lipgloss fell out of his pocket and onto the ground.

"You're a little fag aren't you?" Brody said menacingly in his ear. "Scarlett- run! Get help!" Ollie yelled. "Shut the fuck up!" Brody said sharply.

Scarlett didn't waste any time. She ran down the aisle to the podium in front of the large cross in the center. She ran to the back entrance door behind a torn red curtain. She pushed, but it wouldn't budge. "Fuck," She whispered to herself. Brody looked up at his two ambassadors. "Don't just stand there! Get her!" He yelled. The two began to run in her direction. She whipped herself around and examined the interior. She had been there a million times, surely there was another way out. The two were coming towards her at lightning speed. She ran over to the nearest door, it led to the basement. It used to be used to house all the props for the winter nativity play. She opened the door and stepped inside. They were almost to her. She screamed as she slammed the door shut, a pounding thud was heard on the other side. One of the bastards had run into the door. She held the door shut as they tried to pry it open from the other side. "Open the Damn door!" One of them yelled from the other side. "Fuck you!" She screamed back as she took a spool of rope that was hanging on the wall. She began to wrap it around the door handle, she pulled it tight and began to lead it to a stray nail sticking out of the wall. She wrapped it around and made her way down the stairs, keeping her eye on the door.

"Say it!" Brody yelled right in Ollie's ear. Ollie winced at the velocity and harshness. "Get off me!" He screamed. "Say it! I'm a little fag!" Brody bellowed. Ollie refused to cry. Ollie struggled to get free of his grasp. "Say it!"
"I'm a... little fag!" Ollie screamed at the top of his lungs."Good- That's real nice," Brody leaned over to Ollie's ear. "You like to be touched don't you?" Brody whispered. Emotions were building within Ollie, he couldn't control it. He felt the tears coming. The snow was beginning to stick all around them, Ollie could feel Brody's hot breath searing right past his ear. "I wanna hear you say it- I like to be touched," Brody whispered. "I said get the fuck off of me!" Ollie screamed as he bit Brody in the wrist. "Ah! Shit!" Brody let go of Ollie. Ollie then proceeded to knock Brody off of him and onto the hard cold wooden floors. He stumbled to his feet and bolted towards the front door. Brody tripped, but was not far behind.

Scarlett rummaged around light up figurines of baby Jesus and the virgin Mary. A crack was heard from above, they had gotten through the door. She rushed towards the cellar. She pushed on the cellar door, it wouldn't budge. It was locked from the outside. This didn't make sense, the cellar door was always unlocked when her and Ollie would come around ever so often to chat about nothing in particular. "Shit! Ollie!" She yelled as she pounded on the cold wooden door.

Ollie sprinted across the small parking lot, he made his way to the field behind the church. He was getting ahead of himself on how fast he could run, he tripped on air, hitting the cold slick ground. Luckily Brody was right behind him, causing Brody to tumble over him. Faint cries could be heard from the cellar. Ollie leaned up at the same time as Brody and punched him in the nose again. He fell back, grappling his nose, it was broken for sure by now. He made it to his feet out of breath.
"Ollie!"
The cry came from the cellular, it bounced up and down as she pounded. He removed the plank wood that was holding it shut. He opened it swiftly revealing Scarlett below. He lent out a hand, she took it and hoisted herself to her feet. The two stumblers weren't far behind her. Ollie slammed the door as soon as they were in sight. "Shit," Scarlett said. She turned around to see Brody tumbling on the ground. The snow around him turned red. "What'd you do?" She asked. "Nothing- he'll live," Ollie said as he wiped his forehead. "Well come on!" Scarlett said, taking Ollie by the arm. They began to run through the field of never ending snow. They laughed and mocked Brody. They had won.
The day was still ahead of them.