𝓲𝓿- knives and hounds

‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗☽𓋪☾‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗‗

THE DAYS THAT FOLLOWED, once the chaos that came with Percy's arrival had calmed down a bit, and everybody went back to their usual routine.

Each morning the boy took Ancient Greek lessons from Annabeth,where they would talk for hours about the gods and goddesses, and she would teach him to read Ancient Greek, which, to his surprise, wasn't that hard for him to read. At least no harder than English.

Some mornings, if Phoebe decided to exceptionally bless them with her presence, it was mostly the brunette trying to disrupt the lesson as much as she could and Annabeth hopelessly trying to redirect it.

The rest of the day he would spend doing outdoor activities with the brunette, looking for something he was good at. Phoebe would not let him leave her side, strangely, she felt responsible for him. The brunette knew how hard the first days at camp were. And it wasn't like he was particularly eager to ditch her company either.

With Chiron, they tried to teach him archery, but they quickly found out that he was a hazard with a bow and an arrow. Percy wasn't any good at foot racing either. Phoebe absolutely left him in the dust. She told him not to worry about it, insisting that she had a decade of experience running away from the consequences of her actions and being late all the time.

Still he felt kind of bad about it.

Wrestling? Forget about it. Every time he set foot on the mat Clarisse or Lyra pulverized him.

"There's more where that came from, punk," she'd mumble in his ear.

The other daughter of Ares was a bit nicer to him, but it was still obvious that she thought he was a hopeless case.

It wasn't hard to notice Percy was getting discouraged, it was hard on him, all those constant stares from the older campers, scanning and analyzing him, trying to figure out who his dad was.

Still the boy liked camp, he got used to the morning fog over the beach, the smell of hot strawberry fields in the afternoon, playing cards with the daughter of Hecate, even the weird monster noises in the woods at night. Every night he would eat dinner with cabin eleven, scrape part of his dinner into the fire, laugh at Phoebe's shitty jokes and pranks. She'd tell him about the time accidentally she gave her mean biology teacher green hair for months, or when she set her room on fire. She'd even tell him all the silly stories about her cat; she did everything to make him feel at home.

But despite everything he started to understand Luke's bitterness and how he resented his father, Hermes. So okay the gods had important things to do? But couldn't they call once in a while, or thunder, or something? Dionysus could make Diet Coke appear out of thin air. Why couldn't his dad, whoever he was, make a phone appear?