Red

Tom took me to a little bridge I had once seen during my adventurous childhood days. The moment I saw it, I knew exactly why he brought me here. This place always had the best sunset. The red sun always took the best shape among the trees.

It was quite far from school and we had even dropped by to get some food for the trip so by the time we popped up, it was just there.

Amazing as always.

"Come on. Climb up here." Tom said for like the third time since I told him no.

He wanted me to climb on top of the car to the roof. It wasn't that I was scared of height, it just wasn't right to be on the roof of a car. That wasn't order.

"I can't." I tried again.

"Why?"

"Because I just can't."

"Really?" he rose a brow at me with that playful smirk hanging on his lips, "Then I'll just eat your burger along with mine."

I gasped. "You wouldn't."

"Okay." He said then sat up straight, "How about it like this? You get up here and pretend we are in the car."

"I am not that stupid." I frowned at him.

"Are you going to try?" he gave me those puppy dog eyes and before I knew it, I found myself climbing up but from the passenger side. I couldn't imagine myself a driver even if I tried. Tom smiled at me and said, "That's my boy."

He gave me my burger then added, "Thanks for following me here."

"Did I have a choice?" I said dryly then bit into my burger.

"You don't have to be so grumpy all the time." He rolled his eyes then bit into his.

"I'm just honest Tommy."

Tom stopped mid bite and said, "You just called me Tommy."

I swallowed and said, "It is your name."

"Yes but you just call me Tom. This is the first time you are calling me Tommy." He smiled at me like I'd just gotten him a scholarship.

I placed my burger down and showed him my puzzled face, "Tom, you are losing me."

"I mean, since we have met, you've always called me Tom. From the football team until now but you just called me Tommy...does that mean we are close now? Like we are actually friends?"

I took a moment to stare at this boy that has practically made me lose my mind a few times. It was obvious he was happy but why was he happy because we were friends? He could get any friend, anyone he wants. Why get happy over little old me?

"You want to be friends with me?" I asked, still confused.

The bliss in his clear grey eyes dimmed a bit but there was no doubt that it was still there. He cleared his throat and said, "Yeah. You are cool and smart."

"Oh. Cool." I replied coolly. You have no idea how happy I am. "I like you too anyway."

We stayed silent and just stared at the darken sky before Tom broke the silence saying, "I'm almost done with the English report."

"I can't wait to see it. As for me, I'm not even close to done."

"You don't know what to write about me?" he gave me a sad look and I laughed.

"Write about you? Dude, I know you like my wardrobe and I do know my wardrobe."

He chuckled along with me and it didn't take me long to notice how close he had gotten. His shoulders were already touching mine and his hands were just beside mine. This made me realize how much I've wanted to be close to him. How I've wanted to tell him everything would be alright when he wasn't the captain. When he was always sad. Hey, wait a minute-

"You knew I was in the football team as a water boy?"

"Huh?" he turned to me and my breath hitched.

He is so close.

"How did you know I was in the football team?" I managed.

He shook his head with a snort, "You gave me water every time I got benched. You tried to talk to me but I was a snob so I never listened."

"That was honest." I muttered then turned away.

"If we are going to be closer, we've got to be honest, right?" he said as he playfully bumped his shoulder with mine.

"Oh, well what's the difference between then and now?"

"I guess I'm a lot more open now. Since my mom and dad split, I guess things have been working out well for my dad and I. We had a lot of family issue around that time so I was very closed off and mean."

"Is that why you practiced every weekend then?"

He nodded slowly and I sighed. And to think he wanted to be captain-he actually just wanted to get away.

"I did want to be captain too but I wasn't getting noticed and I wasn't as good as Troy. Let's just say, I was going through some deep period." He continued. "So when my parents finally split, I realized a lot of stress was off my shoulders and I became more open and relaxed. So when Mr. Tevin called on you the other day, I remembered what I did to you."

"Then the pairing?"

"I was so damn happy she paired me up with you." He said then ran a hand slowly down my hair. "But after seeing your eyes, it was like I knew you. Quiet, closed off, weird but extremely extraordinary. Those violet orbs of yours threw a little more light my way. And I'm going to tell you honestly, I fell in love with them. With you."

I gasped. Forgive me for being dramatic but, goddamn, you cannot blame me. I tried to speak but it was like the word were caught in my throat or I didn't really know what to say.

Tom seemed to have gotten the wrong idea because he pulled away from me and laughed miserably, "Ah, I'm sorry. It wasn't supposed to come out that straightforward." He kept moving back, "Uh, I hope I didn't mess up. Wait, don't hit me."

I knew that if Tom kept acting like an idiot, he was going to fall and that made me realize that I was really on top of a car. But I didn't have time to think about my problem.

Sharply, I caught on to his shirt and pulled him towards me before he could fall off. His arm quickly flew around my shoulder to hold me in place because I started shaking.

"Uh, Yale. You alright?"

"I need to get down from this car."