Chapter 6

****Hi! This chapter is dedicated to sarah_2022. She is the winner of my challenge! I will have another chapter up ASAP, probably in the next day-ish (you should thank her, it was her prize). By the way, do you like the switching POVS or is it confusing?****

America POV

After Maxon left, I decided to say goodnight to Anna and Daniel. Their bedrooms were just down the hall. I first knocked on Daniel's door. A maid opened it for me, then swiftly and silently exited the room. Daniel was sitting on the bed, tear tracks evident on his cheeks. "Daniel? Are you okay?" He looked up, and, seeing me, he scrubbed roughly at his face. I came and sat down. "Here, honey." I said, handing him a tissue. After his face went from red to a more muted light pink, I asked him what was wrong. "Daddy told me he would come, but he's not here." He wailed. My jaw clenched. How could work be more important than your child? I stood up. "Danny, you wait here, and I'll get your Dad for you. Do you want me to get a maid to bring up some hot chocolate for you?" He nodded shyly, and I closed his door. I was halfway to the King's study when I realized I had forgotten about the hot chocolate. A maid was hurrying to the kitchens, so I stopped her. "Excuse me?" I said, and she looked up. "Mary?" I gasped, staring at her. Mary's eyes widened. "Miss America?" I pulled her into an impromptu hug. "Oh, Mary, I missed you so much!" I was so shocked to see her here, but truthfully I shouldn't have. Most maids stayed to work in the palace until they were unable to do so. "America, how are you even here?" She asked. I was glad to see her call me by my first name, without a "Miss" or a "Lady" in front of it. "I am the new tutor of Princess Anna and Prince Daniel." Ohhh. Prince Daniel. I remembered what I was going to do. "Mary, could I meet you in an hour or so, in the schoolroom?" She looked uncertain. "But, Miss, I have to work." I smiled. "Don't worry about that. Just tell them that the King needed you. Oh, and could you bring a cup of hot chocolate to the Prince and Princess?" Mary nodded. "See you in an hour." With that, made my way further down the hall. Once I got to the King's study, I banged the door open. When Maxon saw me, his eyes lit up. "America!" I glared at him. "Don't you 'America' me." I said tartly. His eyebrows drew together. "What's wrong, my dear?" He asked. I glared at him. "What's wrong is that your son is completely worried and afraid that YOU are too busy to say goodnight!" Maxon's eyes widened. "America, I'm going to see the children as soon as I can, and-" I cut him off before he could finish. "Is it SO HARD to take a few minutes off work to see your SON?!!?! Or do you not mind giving him a similar childhood to yours?!" He clenched his jaw, and I knew I had gone too far. "Now listen here, I am the King of Illèa, and you will NOT, I repeat NOT, push me around like this! I knew you were a fake, I knew you never meant any bit of what you ever said to me!" Tears stung my eyes. "That's not true!" I cried. His eyes turned cold. "Oh, really?" I exploded. "Maxon Calix Schreave, why don't you EVER listen to me?! When I got to the Selection, I was confused and heartbroken. I thought I could never love again! But I was wrong. What I used to have with Aspen wasn't love, not like it was with you!" "And what are you trying to say, Miss America?" He said sharply. "What I'm TRYING to say is that I love you! I have for so long! And I KNOW you don't love me back, but I already said it so why stop now. I LOVE YOU. I wouldn't care if you were the King of Illèa or an Eight living on the streets, I'd still want to be with you! But you have a perfect life with Kriss who's a million times better of a queen than I would have been! Who would love me? I'm stubborn, and boring, and in your father's words, positively PLAIN! Yet what you have to understand, Maxon, is that I love you and I will never stop." By now, tears streamed down my face as I looked into Maxon's deep brown eyes. He seemed petrified. I turned on my heel and made my way to the door. But before I could exit the room, two strong arms encircled me, planting me firmly in my position. "Maxon, let go." He ignored my plea and whispered, "You really love me?" He whispered softly. I crossed my arms and turned to face him. "Have you even been LISTENING to me?!?!" The corners of his lips quirked up into a small smile. "Actually, yes, I have." Maxon leaned forward, and the next thing I felt was his lips on mine. My memories hadn't done Maxon's kisses justice. He held me like I was made of the finest bone china, yet filling me with a passion I hadn't felt in so long. that moment, I waa hopeful. All too soon, he pulled away. "Come on. Let's go put the children to bed." He said, taking my hand in his. Together, we walked out.

P.S.~ Shout-out to CCSCSwimmer for always giving me good feedback! You're amazing, my dear ;)