Chapter Thirteen: The Miracle, Part II

THE MIRACLE, PART II:

"Doctor, is there nothing left that we can do?" Porthos pleaded.

"There is one more option—I was saving it only as a last resort," the doctor said in a steely tone.

"What is it?" Aramis asked, his voice quivering.

"It's something that has never been done before, and I'd say it's very risky. I don't know if it will work," Berteau stated flatly, "but it's his last and only chance now to save his life."

"What are you thinking of doing, doctor?" asked Aramis.

"I need for the garlic mixture to pull this infection out of his body but it's not doing the job effectively enough from the shoulder," doctor Berteau stated.

"It is obvious that the infection has spread," Berteau continued, "so we need to get to where the infection has gone—into his organs and his blood stream."

"What are you saying, doctor?" Porthos asked cautiously.

"I'm saying that I'm going to reopen the incision in his side and pack the entire area next to his kidney full of a garlic, honey and butter-herb poultice," informed the doctor.

"You can't be serious, doctor," d'Artagnan said in disbelief. "That's the only option left-that's it?"

"Hold on, d'Artagnan," Aramis held up his hand to the young Gascon, finding the suggestion intriguing. "That just might work."

"The function of the kidneys is to filter and clean waste from the blood as it flows back to the heart, am I correct doctor?" Aramis inquired.

"You are correct, Aramis," said M. Berteau.

"So, you're thinking that if we insert a poultice next to the kidney, perhaps it will leach the infection from the kidney, and ultimately, the blood circulating through the organ?" Aramis stated—he really didn't ask.

"That sounds crazy," d'Artagnan said. "Are you sure it will even work?"

"No, I'm not certain it will work, my young friend," said the doctor grimly. "But if it doesn't. . ."

"If it doesn't work," Aramis chimed in for the doctor, "there's nothing left to try, d'Artagnan. We don't have any other option at this point. Though I do have a question, doctor Berteau," Aramis pressed.

"Yes, Aramis?"

"You mentioned reopening Athos's right side to access his kidney," Aramis stated. "What about increasing his chances by accessing the second kidney?"

"In other words," Aramis continued, "let's open him up on his left side as well. Is this a feasible option, doctor?"

"Aramis, are you out of your mind? You can't seriously be suggesting that they cut into perfectly healthy flesh with the hope that this plan will work!" d'Artagnan said, incredulous.

"Do you have a better suggestion, doctor d'Artagnan?" Aramis snapped.

"Hey, we're not going to help Athos any if we start fighting with each other again," Porthos stepped in. "I'm no doctor, d'Artagnan, but we're all out of options. I don't know what else they can do for him; but this is one last option we have to try." Porthos paused, thinking.

"It's either we try this or we watch him die," Porthos continued. "Athos may die anyway, but we have to know that we did everything possible to save him."

"If the good Lord still wants to take him, at least he didn't go without a fighting chance!" Porthos finished.

The silence in the room was thick as each contemplated the gravity of the situation. Athos's life, literally, hangs in the balance of one life or death decision.