Blue Eyed Girl

Joanna

I remember nothing other than I passed out in a boy's arms. So how I got here, tucked in a bed, staring at an orangey tan ceiling, in a long shirt, I don't know if I'll ever know. I slowly lift my legs over the side of the bed and gently raise myself into an upright position, sitting with my legs dangling off the side. I decide to take it a step further and try to stand, just before realizing that this is a terrible decision, and I let out a short scream as my legs give out and I crumple.
Before I hit the floor, I feel hands grip my waist, steadying me.
"Are you ok?" A young male voice asks from behind me.
"I'm fine," I say, grappling onto the bed, just now feeling the thick gauze wrapped securely around the entire length of my torso, meaning someone had to take off my undergarments and look at my body. I shivered, feeling dirty and exposed. My cheeks bloomed red as I turned around to see the face of the boy that caught me last night. His eyes held mine until a cough sounded, and our heads whipped around to see a woman in a teal dress.
"Camilo, what are you doing in here?" She asked, an eyebrow raised.
"I- uh-" He stuttered.
"I fell out of bed, and he caught me. I'm super clumsy." I covered as they both stared at me. "What?" I asked.
"I'm sorry, love, but I'm just surprised that you're awake." As she came over, helping Camilo put me back into the bed.
"You are? How long have I been out for?" I asked.
"Three days," Camilo said as my jaw dropped.
"What?! Three days? That- I-?"
"Easy, Mi querida. You're going to be alright." The lady tried calming me down, but I only calmed down once Camilo touched my hand. I glanced over at him before fixing my gaze back onto the lady. "Now, what is your name? How old are you?"
"Joanna Raines... 15. Where am I?" I asked as she glanced at me.
"Colombia." She said softly as my eyes widened.
"How did I get to Colombia?!" I cried out.
"Where are you from? What do you last remember?" She tried.
"I was at home in New Hampshire!" I panicked.
"New Hampshire?" Camilo cocked his head to the side.
"The US? North America? How did I get here? I was a whole country and half away!" My panic only grew with every new scenario that popped into my head, but then everything came back to me, and I froze.
"Don't worry, sweetheart; we can help you get back home." She tried as tears welled up in my eyes.
"What?" Camilo asked. "What's wrong?"
"I can't go back," I whispered. "They don't want me." I curled my knees up into my chest and laid my head on them.
"Who doesn't want you?" The lady asked.
"My family. They sent me here. They drugged me and sent me here, knowing I'd either die or never find my way back." I whimpered.
"I don't-" She started.
"You can call, but if you mention my name, they'll hang up." I frowned, playing with the ends of my hair.
"I'll be right back." She said, taking the slip of paper I gave her and walking out, leaving the door cracked open.
"Hey, if you'd like, you could probably stay here." Camilo tried as I nodded, not really looking at him. "Can I show you something cool?" He asked as I gave him a sideways glance.
"Sure." I shrugged; what's the worst that can happen?
I wasn't expecting much, but what he did truly blew my mind.
He shapeshifted into a different person.
"What the-?" I gaped; he now has my full attention.
"Pretty cool, huh?" He grins as I nod. "Wanna see another?" I nod again. This time he shapeshifts into a perfect replica of me.
"That is insane!" I laugh as he shifts back into himself, grinning at me.
"If you think that's cool, you should totally see the rest of the family." He laughs, and as if on cue, his family comes in.
"Hi! I'm Delores." A girl who has the same eyes as Camilo smiles at me.
"Hi. So, you have powers too?" I smirk.
"Yeah, it's hard to prove, though. I can hear everything." I cringed.
"I hate loud noises; I can't imagine what you hear on a daily basis." She nodded before a woman with ginger hair and blue eyes came over.
"I'm Pepa. I'm Camilo's mom." She smiled before showing me an actual rainbow.
"That is so cool! How does that even work? Do you have to collect the moisture in the air and then bend the light?" I asked before shrinking down, blushing.
"You like science?" She smiled at me as I nodded shyly.
"Well, most of our family can't really exist peacefully with science." Camilo shrugged before a girl with muscles for days came over.
"I'm Luisa."
"Let me guess; you're super strong?" I smiled as she lifted up the bed, and I let out a squeak before she put it back down. "Awesome."
"And I am Isabela." A girl who looks like one of the Instagram fame girls. She waved her arm, plopping a bouquet in my hands: Roses, azaleas, lilies, hollyhock, hibiscus, and decorated with Queen Anne's Lace.
It was beautiful.
"Nice." I smiled politely; she was a bit too egotistical for my taste.
Speaking of taste, "Here, eat this, and then I want you to rest." The lady said as five more people came in.
"Good, you're awake." A girl with green glasses bubbled as she walked over to me. "I'm Mirabel."
"Hi... My name is Joanna, by the way." I blushed, forgetting to introduce myself to the rest of the family.
"Oh, I'm Julieta." The lady said as she handed me an English muffin-looking thing. "Now eat; this should heal what I couldn't last night." She said as I took a bite and moaned.
"I think I might like your power the best." I smiled as they all laughed.
"Sweetie, when was the last time you ate?" Pepa asked as my face darkened, and I couldn't meet their eyes. "Oh... Are you ok at home?" She tried again before Julieta took her, the older lady, and the two men out of the room.
"I hope you can stay," Camilo whispered to me.
"Me too," I whispered back.
"Everyone, please welcome Joanna to La Familia Madrigal!" The older lady, Abuela, announces as everyone cheers, and I let out a breath of relief.