Fifty One

Martha Stewart af

You'll get it

----

The children's ward was mostly silent as Niall and I entered, hand in hand, our feet the only noise as they swished in sync on the linoleum floors. It smelled like alcohol rubbing pads and burnt rubber bands. I always disliked hospitals but it made me even more nervous being in one now.

The doctor was laughing as Rory flailed his arms in the air when we entered the room, and a grin quickly spread across my face in joy. I let go of Niall's hand and scooped Rory up into my arms. He wound his chubby arms around my neck and pressed his slobber covered face into my neck. "Mumma!" He squealed in a baby voice, yanking my hair in his clenched fist.

I felt Niall's presence behind me as I laughed, kissing my sons neck softly.

"He is doing much better." The older doctor informed us, flipping through papers on a clipboard. I smiled gratefully and handed Rory off to Niall. "Will we be able to take him home?" I asked hopefully, nervously winding my fingers together.

"Yes, of course. I just need you to both sign his papers of release."

After reading over the the notes on the pages, Niall and I both signed the papers and said goodbye to the doctor. I had an appointment for an ultrasound in half an hour on the next floor up, so I didn't see any point in leaving just to come back but Niall had groceries to get anyways.

"Are you sure you'll be okay with him?" I warily asked, fretting over Rory by adjusting the jumper we changed him into and smoothing his hair back as he sat comfortably in his fathers arms. Niall raised an eyebrow at me, shaking his head as he chuckled softly. "I'm capable of taking care of him, Shay." He laughed with amusement.

I rolled my eyes. "I know. I'm sorry. I'm just...nervous."

"You mean overprotective." He corrected with a smirk, blowing air against Rory's cheek to make him laugh.

"That too." I sighed, warily eyeing Rory. He seemed just fine, much better than before. I pushed my nervous fears away and took his hand into mine.

"Be good for daddy, and I will see you when I get home. Love you." I kissed his slobbery lips without a care and he giggled rambunctiously, pinching my cheeks as I did so.

"You don't need a ride home?" Niall questioned in suspicion and I rolled my eyes again.

"Arabella is coming, she'll take me home."

"Are you sure it's Arabella?" Accusation was the only thing in his voice and I crossed my arms, holding my ground. "Don't be jealous, Austen isn't coming. You have nothing to worry about."

"Good. I don't like that tool." He mumbled in disappointment and leaned down to peck me on the mouth. I wasn't going to argue with him about it, so I simply said a quick goodbye and rushed away to the elevators.

Once upstairs I signed in at the desk and took a seat in the small waiting room. It was a little shocking when I realized that I was the only one in the room, no one else was waiting for a maternity checkup or ultrasound. It was a little nice to have some alone time, but a little unnerving that I was sitting here waiting by myself.

My foot tapped recessively against the ground as I sent a text to Arabella making sure she was still picking me up. She was supposed to come over to the apartment for a visit afterwards, and my dad was also supposed to be coming over as well. I didn't want to overwhelm Niall but I needed to inform my family of my pregnancy and I also needed some time with my friend. I missed seeing her everyday, and I also wanted an update on how Austen was doing.