Chapter 60

Safania's POV

The caravan travelled for hours and hours. Sometimes the men would begin singing what I assumed were classic Perian songs, but most of the time we rode in silence. I enjoyed the quiet sounds of the forest – I had missed the tranquility of it all.

Emalina had never traveled like this before, with the exception of our short-lived escape from the castle. She was so in awe of everything, constantly looking up at the towering trees covering our path, smiling every time a bird crossed in front of us. But as much as I enjoyed watching her take it all in, I couldn't stop worrying about Ari. I knew Cassius was planning something.

Once the sun began to set, we pulled off to make camp. I worked alongside the men to help assemble the tents, despite their protests. After Oske, everyone seemed to be both respectful and slightly afraid of me, so they didn't argue too much. 

Once all the tents were set up and everyone was settled in their beds, I walked into Cassius's tent. He was sitting on his cot writing in a small journal. Without saying a word, I went and sat by the small heating stove in the middle of the tent and watched the smoke travel through the gap in the ceiling.

"You're upset," Cassius said.

"You're perceptive," I replied sarcastically.

"What's on your mind?" he asked.

"Just tell me. What are you planning for Ari?"

"Lieutenant Ari," Cassius corrected me.

"You and I both know you didn't take him along on this trip for him to enjoy the scenery," I continued, ignoring Cassius.

"Of course not," Cassius replied. "We're travelling to his new posting."

I froze. "You're transferring him?"

"Don't look so offended Safania. It's normal for soldiers to shift postings. Especially when their current posting proves to be...unsuitable."

I stood up and walked over to Cassius. "Unsuitable because of me," I said accusatorily.

"Yes," he replied simply.

"Cassius, please. It's not fair. He's one of the only people I trust."

Cassius shook his head. "One of the only people you trust? And who can I trust Safania? My brothers? Advisor Melli? Of course not."

I scoffed. "Don't even try to get me to pity you. You have hundreds of men who would die for you. I have Emalina and Ari – that's it."

Cassius stared at me and responded calmly, but by looking at his piercing blue eyes I could tell he was upset.

"It's interesting that I'm never on this list of people you can trust," he replied evenly. "And yes, I have men who are loyal to me. That doesn't mean I can confide in them. That list is extremely short, and it keeps getting shorter based on the number of people who go behind my back to help you."

"To help us Cassius," I said exasperated. "We're engaged now. When someone helps me, they help you. And vice versa. Not to mention the fact that the only reason we're engaged is because Ari helped me."

"I know how the lieutenant feels about you," Cassius told me, studying my reaction to this revelation. Even though I was confused how Cassius knew, I didn't let it distract me.

"And yet he still helped me be with you. Because he respects me and he respects you. That's exactly the kind of person we need to keep close, and instead you're sending him away because why? Jealousy? Your overwhelming desire for absolute obedience?"

"My word is final Safania. It's already done."

"Then undo it," I told him firmly, spinning around to move back by the fire. I felt Cassius grab my hand.