Chapter 90

Third Person POV

The days after the wedding were a blur. Cassius would meet and discuss strategy with the elders, Ari, Alton, Valery, and Zamari in the mornings, train in the afternoon, and then spend the evenings with his new wife.

Finally, the date of the group's departure arrived. Cassius, Valery, and Zamari were each leading their own unit – Cassius and Ari would take out the generals in the middle of the camp, Valery would shut down the aviary, and Zamari would rally the soldiers from Abree. If everything went successfully, they would take back the fort before anyone knew what was happening.

While the troops gathered at the camp, Cassius and Safania sat alone on the cliffs overlooking the sea, watching the sunrise. The two held each other silently, Safania's head resting on Cassius's chest, and his arm thrown around her shoulders.

"I don't want you to go," Safania said softly, her voice barely able to be heard over the crashing waves below them.

"I have to," Cassius replied.

"I know," Safania agreed. "But that doesn't make it any easier. You really won't let me come with?"

Cassius kissed her forehead. "Saf, you know that's a bad idea for a number of reasons."

"It just seems like every time we're separated, something horrible happens."

"I know," Cassius acknowledged. "But it's not just your life you would be risking by coming with. Think of the baby."

Safania's hands moved to her growing bump. Their child had already been through so much, and they weren't even born yet.

"Promise me you'll be safe," she said, accepting that she would have to stay at the camp.

"I promise," Cassius told her, staring deeply into her concerned emerald eyes. "I love you more than anything."

Safania smiled and pulled him close. The two exchanged a long and loving kiss before heading back to the camp. 

When they arrived, all of the volunteer army was organized and ready to leave. Cassius joined his unit at the front of the pack.

"Goodbye my love," he told Safania for a final time, giving her a kiss and then mounting his horse.

"I'll take good care of him Starfish," Zamari told Safania, approaching her from behind and giving her a hug. "I love you so much, my sweet baby girl."

"I love you too mom. I hate saying goodbye to you."

Zamari smiled. "Then we'll just say see you later."

Safania returned her mother's smile. "See you later mom. You be safe too."

"Of course. See you later Starfish."

Zamari mounted her horse as well, and she and Cassius began to ride off. This prompted the group to start moving forward, across the clearing and through the forest.

Safania watched as the group disappeared into the tree line. Once they were finally out of sight, she sunk to the ground, tears flowing freely from her eyes.

"Saffy, what's the matter?" Emalina asked, running over concerned.

"I'm just so worried Em."

"It's okay," Emalina answered reassuringly. "Prince Cassius has done this kind of thing before. He's been in plenty of battles. He'll be fine."

"But what if he's not Em? This is so dangerous. It feels completely different than all the other times we've been apart."

"You need to trust him. The same way he trusts you."