Epilogue

Third Person POV (Irado)

"Emperor, we have news from Peria," the Emperor's advisor began.

Emperor Kurzon sat on his ornate, onyx throne, looking emotionlessly at the man before him. He was dressed in his typical outfit – an elaborate black and crimson robe. A spiky black crown that seemed to match his throne perfectly sat atop his long, straight black hair. He continued to stare intently at his advisor, waiting for him to continue.

The advisor cleared his throat. "The coronation is scheduled for next week. Cassius will officially become the King, and that runaway slave girl will be his Queen."

"She has a name, Bhemo," the Emperor responded calmly.

"Of course, your majesty. Safania. Safania will be the new Queen."

"Do you know why we use her name, Bhemo?"

"Um....to be specific, your majesty?" the advisor guessed.

"No," he replied dismissively. "Because simply calling her a runaway slave girl minimizes her importance. It makes her seem less dangerous. It reduces a woman who won over a prince known for his coldness, defeated countless talented warriors at the Oske tournament, and helped secure an alliance with an isolationist kingdom into someone simple and powerless. Using her name is part of acknowledging what she is."

"What is that your majesty?"

"The most dangerous weapon Peria has in the upcoming war," Emperor Kurzon replied, standing up and walking to look out a window. "But if I have to be the one explaining all of this to you, I have to question what utility you have as my advisor," he continued, facing away from Bhemo. He gave a faint, nearly imperceptible nod to one of the guards lining the sides of the throne room.

Several guards walked to Bhemo, who began pleading for mercy. "No, no, your majesty please! I misspoke. I understand, I was—" A crack filled the room as one of the guards snapped Bhemo's neck. The advisor fell to the floor instantly.

"Your majesty?" another advisor interrupted, bursting into the throne room.

"It's good to see you Uigen," the Emperor said warmly, greeting him. "Too much?" he asked, referring to the advisor sprawled out dead on the ground.

The advisor looked at the body, unfazed. It was clearly not the first body he had seen, nor did he expect it be the last. "I'm surprised he lasted this long," Uigen replied. "No, it's not about that. A Perian man was picked up along our border. He said he needed to speak with you. That he had helpful information. Some soldiers brought him here."

"And is his information, in fact, helpful?" the Emperor asked, his tone unchanging.

"Hard to say as he refuses to speak unless he can meet with you. If he is who he says he is, I believe it might be," Uigen replied.

Emperor Kurzon nodded. "Bring him in then."

Almost instantly, a disheveled man was thrust into the throne room. "Your majesty," he said immediately, falling to his knees.

"What is your name?" the emperor asked, switching to Ledish. It was near-perfect, with only the slightest hint of an accent.

"Edward," the man replied, staring at the ground.

"You have information?"

"Yes, your majesty."

"And how did you come about this information?"

"I was to spy on Prince Cassius under the orders of his older brother King Alterius and report back. I became Prince Cassius's closest friend and confidante."