5. The Client

With panic in his eyes, Squidward dashed toward his front door. Sweating heavily, he signaled for Octavius to step inside, trying to hide the catastrophe occurring behind him in the kitchen. "C-Come right in," he tried, the droplets of sweat increasing as they slid rapidly down his forehead. He led the squid further into the house, hastily covering the kitchen with a curtain and obscuring SpongeBob and Patrick from view. He led Octavius into his living room and made space for him on the couch before rushing back into the kitchen. Squidward then proceeded to lift SpongeBob and Patrick off the ground, hauling them both out the front door and slamming it shut. He dusted off his tentacle hands and returned to the living area. Panting, the octopus sat down on the couch beside his new acquaintance.

"Is everything okay?" Octavius inquired, a hint of concern showing through his jade-colored eyes. "It's perfectly fine," answered the mollusk, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "Those two aren't with me, I promise. Just ignore them." "Got it." Octavius shrugged and pulled out his golden clarinet from his pocket. It was clear that Squidward didn't wish to discuss the two individuals present in his home a moment ago, and Octavius respected that. "I found this cool new songbook," said the squid. "It's got a ton of beautiful compositions for us clarinetists!" His eyes beamed with joy. Squidward picked up his own, black-colored clarinet from a table nearby and nodded gleefully. "It's so good to FINALLY meet someone else with extensive musical knowledge and class!" he answered.

The octopus and the squid played their clarinets in harmony for hours, filling the water with a soothing melody. Following this they watered Squidward's kelp garden outside his house, tap-danced on the second story inside, and finally, they spent the last few hours painting portraits of each other. Squidward painted an impressionistic portrait of Octavius against a graceful, maroon-colored background. Octavius painted a deeply-shaded, more 'realistic' type portrait of Squidward, sitting in a throne-like chair and sporting a deep-purple robe as he posed elegantly.

"It's...the peak of pulchritudinous perfection," gushed Squidward, his reddish-brown irises filling with joy. He placed his hands on the sides of the canvas, careful not to damage it as he admired his portrait. "I dare say you're the only sea creature I've met who can so faultlessly match my artistic genius." Octavius chuckled at the narcissistic sentiment. "Well, thank you," he said, humbly rubbing the back of his neck. "I guess I've just had a lot of practice. Especially with cephalopods." "Really?" Squidward looked greatly intrigued by the words of his new companion. "If you don't mind me asking, what other experience have you had depicting fellow cephalopods?"

"I'm a freelance painter when I'm not performing in the music industry," explained the squid. "I was recently hired to do a variety of self-portraits of my newest client, who's also a fellow cephalopod like us. He kind of has a big job for me, so I'll be working with him for quite a while. But that's okay. It puts bread on the table at the end of the day."

"Ah, yes," Squidward's countenance showed a relaxed look as he gave his companion a polite nod. "Work can be excruciatingly time-consuming sometimes. But I'm sure with your level of skill, you won't let him down." "Thanks for the support." Octavius reached for Squidward's tentacle hand and they shook on it. "I'd love to hang out again. I had a blast." "Sure!" Squidward nodded excitedly. "Same time next week?" "I'd like that." Octavius looked down and checked the wristwatch he wore. "My ride should be here any minute," he announced. "My client is very wealthy. He was kind enough to offer me a ride in his limo boat back to his mansion so I could get started on his portraits."

Squidward's heart felt as though it sank within his chest. Limousine-boat? Mansion? "Oh," he uttered, trying his utmost best to maintain his composure. "How...kind of your client." "Yeah!" Octavius waved in a preppy manner to Squidward as he pocketed his golden clarinet and headed out of his abode. "He's a little full of himself sometimes, but he's pretty nice, overall. He was nice enough to gift me my golden clarinet for the work I'm going to do for him. And that's in addition to my future paycheck."

Squidward's heart pounded rapidly. There were plenty of other wealthy sea creatures in Bikini Bottom. Maybe he was overthinking this. Surely it couldn't have been HIM, right? But then, a fellow cephalopod that owned a mansion? That was where it became suspicious. Most of the cephalopods lived in SquidVille with similar Moai-like buildings that matched Squidward's home.

"I'm happy for you," Squidward uttered, admittedly feeling slightly intimidated. "Oh!" Octavius' eyes lit up with joy. "I think he's here now! See you next week, Squidward! Thanks for the fun time!" The mollusk happily wandered over to a large, luxurious looking limousine-boat that pulled up in front of Squidward's house, making it look small and insignificant in comparison. Octavius climbed into one of the back seats, closing it and buckling his seatbelt. The car was soundproof, so Octavius couldn't hear anything as soon as he made himself comfortable inside. Once Octavius was in the vehicle, a familiar face stepped outside into the open, making direct eye contact with Squidward who stood near his own front door. The owner of the limousine wore a dark-red robe and above his eyes rested a large, bushy unibrow. It was none other than...Squilliam Fancyson.

Squilliam took off the opulent sunglasses he was wearing and smirked deviously at Squidward.

"Long time no see, Squiddy."