11. Reconciliation

Octavius headed to a music shop and then headed toward Squidward's house. He noticed the octopus was sitting on the living room couch through the window, crying to himself. He knocked on the door, and he was almost instantly greeted with hostility. "SPONGEBOB!" shouted Squiward. "I told you to leave me the shell alone!" "Actually, it's me." Octavius rubbed the back of his neck. "Sorry to interrupt your evening."

"No! Come right in. I insist." Squidward invited his fellow cephalopod companion in, wiping the tears from his eyes. "I'm sorry dinner tonight was an absolute catastrophe," he said. "It's not your fault," said Octavius, joining his buddy on the couch. "I'm sorry for getting upset and storming out," he added, tenting his fingers together. "I understand why you did," Squidward admitted. The two of them smiled at each other, sharing a brief moment of serenity.

"I have a confession to make," Squidward said. "Octavius...I'm not really wealthy. I'm just a cephalopod who works at a fast-food establishment as...a cashier. Truth is, I would've blown my entire paycheck on that upscale restaurant because...because I wanted to impress you. I'll never be as well-off as that Squilliam Fancyson."

"Squidward, I don't care if you're wealthy or not."

"You...you don't?"

"Not at all." Octavius smiled. "Squidward, you're a great friend. Your net worth doesn't determine your value. Neither does your occupation. And honestly, now that I've seen Fancyson's true colors, I can safely say you deserve a lot better than him."

Squidward's eyes filled with tears and he returned the smile to his friend. "Thanks, Octavius," he answered meekly. "No one's ever said anything so kind to me before."

"I mean it." Octavius looked around the room and then back at his pal. "If you don't mind me asking, what happened between you and Squilliam, anyway?" "It's a long story," Squidward answered. "It all started back in high school. We attended band class together. Ever since that day, he's done nothing but try to one-up me." "That's awful," said the squid, trying to reassure his friend. "I'm so sorry."

"It is what it is." Squidward headed into the kitchen, starting to prepare a home-cooked meal for the two of them. "Might as well make it all up to you," he suggested. "I'll help," offered Octavius, joining him. "I wanted to say I really appreciate our friendship, too," said Octavius. "But...I have a confession to make as well." Octavius looked down at the floor. "In a few weeks' time, I'm moving out of Bikini Bottom."

"What?"

"Yeah. I rented a place down the street, but it was temporary housing. I'm a freelance painter, so I tend to move around a lot."

"Does...this mean I won't see you again?"

"I'm afraid not," said Octavius. "But I want you to know that I had a great time hanging out with you, Squidward. And I'll forever cherish the memories we've shared."

"I'll cherish them too."

Once their meals were prepared, the two of them ate together in silence. They waved their good-byes after Octavius stealthily left a small box in one of Squidward's drawers. The two of them would eventually share a few more Sundays together before the squid would inevitably leave town. After a long day where the two of them played Squidward's clarinet together, it was finally time for Octavius to depart. The two cephalopods stood outside Squidward's home, holding hands. "I'll never forget you, Squidward Q. Tentacles."

The octopus watched as Octavius left, eventually disappearing from view. Squidward sighed and sat down on his doorstep, raising his knees to his chest. His only friend was gone, and he was alone once more. Still, he could be grateful for the memories he and his best friend shared. He reached into his pocket, pulling out his clarinet. He played a melancholy tune, emotions spilling outwards as he filled the water with its graceful sounds.

Suddenly, he witnessed a familiar-looking, conspicuous limousine boat heading toward his house. Squilliam Fancyson stepped out of the vehicle, his hands placed behind his back. Squidward usually had a strong reaction to seeing his rival, but he was in no mood. "What do you want, Squilliam Fancyson?" inquired the octopus with a subtle sigh. "Have you come to criticize my clarinet solo?"

"No, actually." The other cephalopod sat down beside Squidward, pulling out a clarinet of his own. Squidward didn't understand what his motive behind this was, but he didn't care. He resumed playing his own clarinet. Soon, Squilliam joined in, the two of them creating a lovely duet whether it was intentional or not. For the first time in his life, Squillam felt remorse for his actions. He was a lucky person with wealth, fortune, and fame. So why did he insist on picking on poor Squidward all this time? As much as he hated to admit it, deep down he longed for the good old days of their friendship. Maybe that wouldn't happen now. But he could at least try to become a bit of a better person. Squilliam placed his arm around Squidward's shoulder, the other octopus too depressed to react. The two of them played their clarinets calmly, gazing outwards into the open, both enjoying the tranquility as evening soon befell upon them.

They'd spent most of their time in silence. When they were done, Squillam took his limousine boat back to his luxurious mansion without a single word to degrade Squidward. With his head held low and his posture slumped over, Squidward headed back into his house, locking and closing the front door behind him. He headed upstairs into his room. He sat down on the bed and sighed, but something soon caught his attention. One of his drawers was sticking open and he stood up, heading over to investigate. "What the...?" The octopus used one of his tentacle hands to open the drawer. He pulled out a small box, opening it. He removed the wrapping paper and his eyes widened immediately. Octavius had left him a brand new, golden clarinet with rubies and emeralds encrusted on it. Underneath the musical instrument rested a songbook with many new compositions for clarinetists. He also left a note, thanking his fellow friend for all the good times. Squidward held the clarinet in his two tentacle hands, trembling lightly as his eyes filled with tears. He walked over to the window and opened it, looking up toward the ocean's surface.

"I'll never forget you either, Octavius Calamaro."

FIN.