Chapter 7: Training with Magicians

Ashley saw how Wong was setting up the training room and felt a pang of nervousness. She knew this was what she had to do: control her powers if she wanted to be a good leader of what remained of the Avengers. She didn't usually want help, or think she did, but she knew that to save her city, to stop Jean Grey, she would need to learn how to control her new powers. Her strength, her telepathy, time, controlling another's soul, reality, a person's mind and controlling space.

Her first day was absolutely hell.

She began fighting with Bucky.

"Don't trust your current powers as much, Ashley!" Wong called out. Ashley was blocking all the attacks Bucky threw at her, using her elemental powers, her telekinesis and tried entering his mind. But she wasn't as strong with it, she was able to block out her mind against Wanda, but entering one's mind was something she hadn't yet fully mastered. But the mind stone could really be something new, something helpful.

Wong made a spell to create several illusions of Bucky, which made Ashley get confused.

"Enter one's mind, find out which is the real Barnes. The real one will have certain memories," Wong explained.

Ashley's heart raced, closing her eyes to focus on the mind of one.

No memories. She focused on trying to fund a certain surge of magic from one of them, but before she could find the right one-

WHIZZ!

Wong had wrapped a magic rope around her waist and threw her against the wall. Ashley used her flames and slowed herself down but as she broke free from one rope, dozens of others caught her arms and legs.

"Use the power stone!"

Ashley thought hard. If she failed with the Mind Stone, maybe the Power Stone was something she could reach. She thought of the purple stone in her head, the Power Stone that could help her break free from all the ropes. She wasn't physically strong as she was quick, but maybe, just maybe if she focused enough...

There. Ashley felt a chain wrapping itself loosely around her. She outstretched her hand to catch the chain, and tugged on it, but something was pulling it back, as if something was holding her back.

Ashley was only able to escape her foot from the rope, but in doing so, she fell to the ground, a loud yelp echoing throughout the training room. She heard footsteps nearing her. Wong and Bucky peered down at her. "Your necklace is holding you back, Ashley."

Ashley felt the corners of her eyes sting slightly. Wong shook his head. "Your necklace is basically your leash, once you escape it, then you can control all Infinity Stones." Ashley got on her feet and sweeped the Winter Soldier off his feet. "I'd like to see you try tha-"

She was then grabbed and thrown away, letting her gasp out and breathe heavily. She looked up. Bucky smirked as he shrugged and he pointed to Wong, who was watching intently. Ashley, now panicking, threw all she had desperately. Yes, she was getting them down, but something was off. She turned around only to be faced by Wong, who threw her back as well.

"Remove the necklace."

"No," Ashley got up, "do you want to know why? Because without this necklace, I-" She stopped. She slowly breathed in, "I hurt others without meaning to. My powers go haywire, I can't control it."

"You're scared," Bucky stated as he stared. Ashley looked taken aback, "I'm not scar-"

"Lie to yourself all you want but you can't lie to us." Wong dusted himself off. "There's nothing to be scared of, you have the Sorcerer Supreme here to help control your powers–"

"But are you sure you can?" Ashley asked, getting on her feet, limping slightly. "I can't let anything go wrong because of me. I can't risk being a failure to the team because I am the leader of the Avengers." Ashley didn't care that a small tear fell. "I can't let anyone get too close because everyone I love is in danger of being killed or is already dead!" She said, a frown etched on her face. "Everyone wants something from me, 'oh Ashley take a picture', 'hey! It's Ashley!' Or better yet! 'A child can't run a superhero team', 'a child can't be a leader' or 'Ashley is a demon and responsible for many deaths! She has too much power!'"

She didn't shake, she didn't sob. When the one tear fell, she fought hard to not let any more show.Wong and Bucky merely stared at her, a look of tragedy washing over their features.

"I'm the only one who knows most about this team. I always have to be strong, but the truth is, I never properly mourned for anyone, because as leader I never had a chance to. I had to keep everyone's heads up. I just-" she sighed, looking at the three men. "I just wish-"

"I wish I could still be human, and be strong enough to help save everyone."