Chapter 11: Rise in Blue Flames

Ashley stood with the rest, trying to find out where Jean was and what she was doing. Ororo with a frown stared at the screen, dreading the moment that was nearing. After all, Jean was her good friend.

But this isn't the Jean Grey she knew anymore. This was the Dark Phoenix.

Meanwhile Ashley forced herself to go harder, harsher, more painful than ever. She strived to be better than her best. Everyone noticed this when they saw her train.

But they failed to notice how she was slowly breaking by the second.

Ashley felt more emotionally drained. She was petrified for this fight, but she refused to tell anyone how she felt. She couldn't burden anyone. She wouldn't.

Not again.

"We're getting closer to finding Jean," Ashley announced. Bucky cast a worried glance in her direction. "Ash, are you sure you're up for this?"

"Yes, Bucky," Ashley replied, crossing her arms over her chest, taking her bottom lip between her teeth as she anxiously chewed on it. "No one else can defeat the Dark Phoenix except for Logan Howlett, who — by the way —is still missing."

"You still haven't found him?" Ororo asked worriedly. Ashley lowered her face, a shadow casting over her features. "There's not a single trail left from him. He's just disappeared. As if he had vanished into thin air."

Silence was spread throughout the room. Ashley then heard a ping from her device. "We've narrowed down Jean," She said. She felt her hairs all stand on end, the goosebumps covering her entire body as if she just had an ice cube placed on her stomach underneath a blanket whilst sleeping. Ashley muttered, "I've got this."

"You're not alone," Ororo told her. "Let us come with you."

Ashley shook her head, "You're all staying here. No arguments-"

"But Romanova-" Rogue spoke up.

"No arguments," Ashley concluded. "I'm not letting you all get hurt or killed like the other mutants! You're all staying here! Only I can face Jean."

No one said another word as they watched Ashley walk out the room.

She was brave. She has got this, and she will succeed. I've got this.

Ashley turned around and walked through the corridors. She had plugged in an earpiece and swirled her hand around, letting herself get engulfed by blue flames as she was in her super suit. She walked past her room as she grabbed her prosthetic, attaching it to her now covered stump as she gently massaged the muscles. Ashley slowly breathed in once more before she finally left the facility, knowing Bucky and Wong were not that far behind. Her blue coat trailed behind her as she made her way to the center of the beloved city. She then turned to face the two men behind her. "Wong, can you help?"

And that is what Wong did. He created a portal and brought them all to the part of the city where Jean currently was. Jean was burning, as if her entire being was godly, but Ashley knew better-it was only the Phoenix Force. And as long as she didn't fear it, she would be okay. She would have to be okay. But she still couldn't completely get rid of the fear clawing at her throat.

With newfound confidence, Ashley walked towards the mutant that stood before her, all powerful. "Jean!"

Jean redirected her attention from a school building to Ashley, not moving a finger, only glaring at Ashley with eyes filled with blackness, hate clouding her judgment. "The mortal Jean Grey is no more."

Ashley's breath hitched.

"I am fire-made flesh," 'Jean' continued, "I am...the Dark Phoenix!"