chapter one : life in a new city

August 2019

Being a sports commentator for ESPN was easily the best job in the world.  I had been working for ESPN for a year now and was just sent to work at their Kansas City location.  I had never lived in the KC area before and was looking forward to the new change and thankfully it meant I would be closer to my best friend, Natalia.  

I had already found an apartment that was in the city that I just put my deposit down a couple weeks ago.  I was coming in from being in Los Angeles and working with the Lakers for the last year now.  It was an amazing opportunity and I was thankful I had connections that got me the job.  Unfortunately, in our field, it's all about connections and who you know.  But this new job I had lined up in Kansas City was all me.  

I wasn't sure what made me want to apply to KC.  I mean I was living my best life with my best friend, Natalia, in Los Angeles and going to Disneyland whenever I wanted and working alongside one of the greatest - Kobe Bryant.  Though he was retired from the game for a few years now, he still did interviews with us and even appeared as a sports commentator on ESPN sometimes.  

My flight had just landed at the KCMI airport and it was surprisingly nice.  It was nearing the beginning of September which meant only one thing - pro football was about to start on September fifth and our boss wanted us in the studio a few days beforehand to meet the team and go over everything.  I had signed a contract already to be here for four years so it was definitely more longterm than my previous job.  

I heard my phone ringing to the Harry Potter theme song and got some looks from the other passengers that were on the flight with me.  I always got some kind of looks with the ringtone whether it was odd or that they were happy with them.  I saw it was Natalia who was calling and immediately answered.

"Hey girl, I just got here so I will be a few minutes until I find you," Natalia told her.

"Sounds great!  I just landed and am heading to baggage now to get my suit case.  It shouldn't be too much longer.  I'll text you when I'm out."

"Alright, see you soon!"

"Thanks again for picking me up," I tell her as I wait with the other passengers.

The machine started to turn on and the suitcases were coming out one by one.  I saw my Vera Bradley quilted crossbody bag and my other suitcase as I got through a few people to get my bag and left.  Walking out of the airport, I noticed the warmth on my skin and I felt like I could bathe in it.  Texting Natalia, I let her know that I was out here and I gave her an idea of where I was.  

A few minutes later, I see the red car pull up and she had the trunk opened as I put my things in there along with my back pack.  I opened the passenger seat and got in as Natalia and I hugged and she left.

*

"So," Natalia said with anticipation and a smile on her face.  "What do you think?"

"Natalia!  It's amazing!  Even better than the pictures," I said as I walked around.

"Right?" She asked as I looked at the living room.  

"I'm so glad we chose this apartment," I shook my head in amazement. 

"Go get your room girl," Natalia let out a laugh and I nod my head as I let out a laugh as well.  

We had already decided who would get which room before we even moved in this week that way it would make it easier on us and since both of us got views of the city, it didn't matter too much.  My room was a little smaller but I didn't mind, especially since it was just me.  Natalia had come out a week before and bought our beds and everything, so it made everything easier for when we moved in.