Chapter 6 - "You're staring."

When Mick got back to her room, Tito and Retreo were arguing.

"Just because you live in the castle, doesn't mean you're better than me."

"Says the bandit. I mean- misunderstood, banished raccoon who lives on the streets."

"YOU'RE JUST AS BANISHED AS I AM, MISS 'I'M PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!'"

"At least I-"

McKayla rapped her knuckles on the door loudly, startling the two.

"You know," She started, walking over to the shredded bed where they were sitting.

"You're really, really, lucky that I'm the only person that can understand what you're saying. Considering you both just outed yourselves completely."

By the time she was done, Mick had a smug grin on her face. Retreo recovered first and started playing along.

"And what, may I ask, Princess-" Mick glared at the instantly sheepish raccoon.
"I mean, uh- uh, Mick," casting a quick glance at the girl he continued. "Would be the penalty if someone were to find out?"

The princess put on a thoughtful look playfully, tapping her finger on her chin, before answering.
"Most definitely certain death."

McKayla and Retreo both stared solemnly at Tito before falling backward in hysterical giggles.
The cat just rolled her mismatched eyes and licked her paw, rubbing it over her whiskers.

Their laughter was still dying down when a knock sounded on the door. She had locked it very quietly when she first came in.

"Mick? McKayla? Open the door, I know you're in there."

They all sucked in a breath and held it, hoping that the voice at the door would go away.

"Dude, I know you're in there. I heard you giggling like you heard the funniest joke ever. Though considering your sense of humor it could've been the lamest one."

McKayla motioned for the two animals to hide. Retreo dived under the bed for the second time that day, but Tito decided to stay on the ripped pillow.

"Hold on, hold on, I'm coming." The girl called loudly, trying to cover up for the loud scampering noises coming from Retreo.

She opened the door to see her 'sister'.
Mick said, "Selene, I get that you're basically my sister and best friend and all, but 'dude' isn't really a proper name for the Princess of Wesinborough."

The girl—Selene, made a 'blah blah blah' motion, before tucking her wavy, rich brown hair behind her ear.

"Whatever. It doesn't matter anyway. Wha-" Selene pushed past Mick and glanced around the room.

"What in the name of Keres happened here?" She asked incredulously.

She glanced at Tito before turning back to McKayla who was just awkwardly standing there.

"Were you talking to Kacela?"

Confusion clouded Mick's eyes before she followed Selene's gaze, which was now resting on Tito curled up on the destroyed pillow.

"Oh! Uh- I uh... Yeah, I was..." She faked an ashamed face and looked down at her feet.

"And what happened to the room exactly?"

Mick looked around the room, just then realizing that the only things that hadn't been demolished in Retreo's attempt to redecorate, was the portrait with her mother in it—thank Tsorfa—and the wooden shelf she had made with her that held all the small trinkets that Asra had given her over the years.

"Um, Ti- Kacela was trying to catch a bird that flew in through my window." McKayla hoped Selene hadn't noticed her slip up and luckily she didn't show any sign that she did.

"So what you're telling me-" The older girl said as if still trying to wrap her head around it all.
"-Is that a bird flew into your room through an open window?" She looked at Mick for confirmation, before continuing.

"Kacela tried to catch it, wrecking the room in the process, and the bird..."

"The bird flew back out of the window and I shut and locked it." Selene raised her eyebrow at Mick's answer, then closed her eyes like she was imagining the scenario.

Retreo popped his head out from under the bed, smirking at McKayla.
"Get back." She hissed at him, and he darted back under as Selene opened her silver, moon-like eyes.

"What did you say?"

"Oh, I-" She started before the older girl interrupted her.

"Nevermind. I don't want to know. Now, you need to get dressed. Choose something more.. gloomier, then go see dad in his office."

As she went to leave the room, McKayla called out,
"Do I want to know the reason behind this?"

Selene shook her head not bothering to turn around before whispering,
"I think you already know the reason. Now, go get dressed and then go see dad." She shut the door behind her.

Mick waited until the footsteps faded away before whispering,
"You can come out now Retreo."

"That was a great lie, Princess." He said as he climbed out.
"But I have to bid you adieu now. Mom's expecting me home soon."

McKayla, who had walked into her closet shouted,
"Okay. I'll see you later then, I guess."

Retreo smirked, mouthing 'watch this' to Tito.
"Why don't you come tell me goodbye in person, Princess?"

McKayla sighed but walked out.

" Goodbye, creatu-" She stopped suddenly when she was met by a good-looking, brown-haired boy who was a good 6 inches taller than her 5'5".

" Close your mouth Princess, or else that bird will fly in and nest."

His smirk softened into something gentler as she shut her mouth but remained un-blinking.

"Princess?" He said softly, stepping a foot closer.

"Yes?" Came the breathy reply.

"You're staring."

Mick snapped out of her trance, turning quickly and slamming the closet door in his face

"That went well, I would say." Retreo shook the stunned look off his face.

"I really do have to go now though. Goodbye, your majesty." He said mockingly to Tito.

"Goodbye, poor peasant." She replied in a haughty voice.

"Goodbye, princess." He called through the closet door.

And when a squeaky "Bye," came back, he turned back into a fluffy masked bandit and crawled out the window, disappearing into the large tree.

Written by Savy
Word Count: 1014