A New Life IV

"Everyone, take heed," a monotone voice spoke into everyone's ears. The man who spoke had no distinguishing features, and he would not stand out in a crowd. "The prey has entered the cage. Offer up your faith to the gods."

Everyone began their silent prayers, a shortened version of their usual praise to their gods.

Even though they were operating in another country, they would never pause in their reverent prayers. It was not complacency on their part, but a symbol of their sincere faith in their gods.

These men who offered everything to the Slane Theocracy and the gods they worshiped were far more devout than the average citizen of the Theocracy. It was why they could perform cruel acts without the slightest bit of hesitation, and why they felt no guilt for doing so.

Dressing up under the banners of another country and slaughtering a different country's villagers?

Those men did not bat an eye at their order.

Maim the survivors? Desecrate the corpses? Ravage the land?

Those men did not bat an eye at their order.

They were meant to play the monsters to incite a war, and they took that role with righteous glee.

They were in the right, after all. They had their gods on their side. They could do no wrong under their guidance.

After their prayers, the eyes of every man present were as hard and cold as glass.

"Begin."

With that one single word, they neatly encircled the village.

Those men were a black ops group from the Slane Theocracy. Though their reputation spread far and wide, little was known about their members. They belonged to one of the Six Scriptures who answered directly to the high priests of the Slane Theocracy. They were the Sunlight Scripture, whose official mission was to exterminate demihuman settlements.

There were only around a hundred of them in total as the recruitment standards for the Sunlight Scripture were immovably strict. Entry required the ability to cast third-tier divine magic, which was also the highest tier of magic that ordinary magic casters could reach. In addition, prospective recruits had to be in excellent physical condition, and they had to possess a strong will and unshakable faith.

Plainly, they were the elite among other elite combatants.

The man quietly sighed as he watched his men disperse. Once they scattered to take their positions, it would be difficult to track their movements.

The Sunlight Scripture's commander, Nigun Grid Luin, only felt the peace of mind that came with knowing that success was at hand.

The Sunlight Scripture was not accustomed to long-term clandestine operations in the field.

They were exceedingly careful every time they closed in on Gazef and his men of the Kingdom, in order to avoid being spotted. If they missed that chance as well, the days of tracking and pursuing would drag on and on.

Nigun muttered, "Next time I'd like to ask the other teams for help, and leave some work to them."

Someone answered Nigun's gripes.

"That's right, we've always been specialized in extermination. I mean, this is a strange mission. Usually, we would have back up from the Windflower Scripture for something as important as this."

Nigun nodded. "Indeed, I don't know why they only deployed us this time around. Still, this will be a good experience for us. We can take this as training in infiltrating enemy territory. Heh, for all we know, that was what the people on top intended."