Book 2 - Chapter 3

In the Land of Reptiles, the feudal lady, Sunari, had invited a Special guest to stay at her palace for a few days. That guest was Mellora-- the feudal lady for the Land of Mammals. At age twenty-six, Mellora had been the lady of her land for just a few months since the assassination of her father, Linnaeus. Sunari was ten years older and greatly experienced as a feudal lady. She thought it would be beneficial to mentor Mellora.

The two ladies were in the palace's grand bedroom. Sunari's bedroom was truly fit for a queen. Midway along the back wall, there was a king-size canopy bed, which only took up a fraction of the room's space. The leaf-green curtains of the bed's canopy had diamond-studded floral pattern designs.

In the center of the room, there was a rug that covered about twice the area of the bed. It contained an image of a python. Its body flowed across the rug's canvas like a river with many curves.

The room also included couches, lounge chairs, coffee tables, and plants. It was a luxurious suite.

Mellora sat in a comfy chair in front of a mirror while Sunari combed and braided her hair. She listened closely as Sunari shared some wisdom with her.

"As a feudal lady, we need to use our beauty and fashion as a tool to aid our governance. Our hair, clothes, accessories--all vital for attaining the respect and admiration of our citizens. Never let the people see you at less than your best."

"Does this apply to the male leaders as well?"

"Yes, but honestly not as much. All of us feudal leaders must maintain a certain standard of style, but I do find that there's more expectation for women in power to be extra . . . 'elegant' with their looks."

Mellora saw herself smiling in the mirror. "I don't think my dad cared much for elegance. He looked so rugged with that beard and long hair. Probably the least groomed feudal lord in history."

"Your father did appear to be rough around the edges, but he was a smart and noble man--respected greatly by his fellow feudal leaders. I learned so much from him over the years."

Mellora's smile had faded and she seemed somewhat timid. 

"Miss Sunari. Ever since I became the feudal lady, I worry that I may not be able to handle this responsibility. My dad was a great lord, and he was loved by everyone. I don't know if I could ever be even half as good as he was. I'm afraid of disappointing my land."

Sunari whipped around to Mellora's front side so she could look into her eyes while placing her hands on her shoulders.

"Years ago, I was in a similar situation as you, Mel. Losing my father unexpectedly and being thrust into this role. I know this is a lot to handle, especially since we have this massive war right now. But just know that you're not alone. Your people and your fellow leaders are there with you every step of the way."

Mellora nodded. Tears were pooling beneath her brown eyes. Sunari hugged her.

"If your father could see what a strong and beautiful woman you've become, he'd be beyond proud. Neither he nor anyone would expect you to be like your father. You'll have your own special journey."

Mellora managed to hold in her tears. She had done plenty of crying in the past few months. Now was the time to be poised; to lead with honor and dignity. When Sunari released her hug and pulled away, Mellora expressed some of her troubling thoughts.

"Do you know anything about the group that killed my dad? The . . . Sting Force I believe it was?"

"They're a highly-skilled squad of five insect fighters who carry out orders given by Teraphon. Each member has a manek that allows them to deliver a gruesome sting that brings unfathomable pain. They've successfully completed two attacks on Keanos. One against the Land of Birds and one on the Land of Mammals. That's about all I know."