Part 17

It was Mory's final morning in the Land of Birds. His mother gave him an extra long hug as she said goodbye.

"I'm still not so sure about you leaving to become a merchant during a time of war."

"Everything will be fine, mom. I might actually be safer in the Land of Mammals since I have a squirrel manek."

She let go of him and sighed.

"I swear, you remind me more and more of your father. Always ready for a new adventure. If this is really what you want, then you better become the richest merchant out there. Just remember to take care of mama and sis."

"Speaking of riches, I have something for you."

Mory slid off the craftsack from his back, unbuttoned the cover flap, and removed a filled up cotton sack that was the size of a coconut.

"What's this?"

"Money from work. The boss gave us all a little starting stipend. I want you to have it."

"Momo, this is sweet of you, but you should keep it for yourself. Use it so you can get whatever you need for the job."

He gently pulled her hand out and placed the money in it.

"The team will supply me with everything that I need. You and Ariel will have more use for this than me."

She nodded, accepting Mory's gift with no further dispute. Her eyes began to water as she smiled at her son. Ariel stepped out of her hut and walked over to Mory. He could tell she had just woken up from the way she was wiping her eyes.

"Take me with you, Momo," she said. "I can't take any more of Mom's bad singing while she's in the garden."

"You got a bird brain or something? This ain't take your little sister to work day."

Ariel folded her arms and frowned in a silly manner. "Fine. I'll just enjoy having two huts to myself while you're gone."

"You can have my hut, just as long as you behave and help mom out around here."

"Deal," she said as she lunged towards Mory and hugged him.

"Is my singing really that bad?" Zerella asked her children. Mory and Ariel both nodded before looking at each other and bursting into laughter. Zerella couldn't resist the urge to join them. When they simmered down, Zerella carried on. "It's time for us to kick you out of the nest, Momo. Be safe and make sure to come back home someday, and find yourself a pretty woman."

"You got it, Mom. I'll come back and I'll bring my smoking hot girl back with me."

Ariel rolled her eyes.

"I love you, Momo," his mother said. "Now get out of here."

"Love you too, Mom."

Mory picked up his sword and fastened it to his hip. He walked until he reached the front gate, then turned around and gave his mom and sister one last wave goodbye. They smiled and waved back at him. The tears had finally fallen from his mother's eyes. That was when Mory felt like worthless trash for lying to her. After everything she had done for him, she deserved better than that. He was ashamed and could no longer face her. He turned away and headed towards the bird base to begin a new life as a warrior. They watched as he strutted away like a champion, but they were unaware that he too began to shed tears of his own.

# # #

On his way to the bird base, Mory decided to make one last visit to a special place. The Stork Village Cemetery. He journeyed into the cemetery, passing by hundreds of graves. Even though Mory was surrounded by death, he was calmed by the serene beauty of the place. The summer sun shined bright over the field of the dead. Rabbits happily bounced around, void of any comprehension of the corpses beneath their feet. Dragonflies hovered over tombstones as if they understood the situation. The stone slabs were neatly arranged in rows and columns that spanned for hundreds of meters, far and wide. The space between them was filled in with dandelions and lush grass. The place was a receptacle for death, but it was hard to feel anything but alive there.

Mory walked to the last row and found his father's grave. He read the details that were carved into the tombstone. It said "Teon, 925 Day 74 - 963 Day 164." Mory had visited the grave before with his family, but seeing it again was just as nerve-rattling as the first time.

"Dad . . . After I defeat Felix and Teraphon, I'm coming home as a free man. I swear, on everything, I will avenge you!"

Mory paused as if he was waiting for his father to say something. He kept his eyes locked on the tombstone.

"Rest easy, Dad."

Those words marked the end of his time in Stork Village. As he left the cemetery, he left behind his life with the birds. Mory would soon reach the Sporadical bird base, where he saw many members making their way in. He saw many faces, both familiar and new. He guessed that there were close to two thousand people present. Mory knew that there were a few thousand spora in the Land of Birds, but to see so many of them together in one place was incredible.

Mory moved through the mass of Sporadical members until he reached the meeting area for training group G. About half of the group was there. When the rest of the group members eventually showed up, Sannis and Rubi appeared before them. Sannis said the words that they all had been waiting for.

"Group G, you are now cleared for departure."

They cheered loudly and got moving right away. Mory became more and more ecstatic with each step forward as they made their way towards the Avian Waterfalls. At last, they had set out for their journey, on foot, to the Land of Reptiles.