Part 6

On day 164, the Bird Land West Academy held a graduation ceremony for the class of 963. There were a little more than a hundred students who all wore navy-blue gowns which had a white dove image stitched into its fabric right over their hearts. Their loved ones gathered around them, sitting on blankets and chairs that they brought from home. The ceremony took place in the training field next to the academy temple.

As the headmaster praised and encouraged the graduates during his speech, Mory looked around in search of his family. After a little bit of eye shifting, he spotted them off to his right.

His mother, who was sitting on a homemade quilt, waved at him with a face that said she wanted to shout for joy and cry at the same time. Seated next to her was his twelve-year-old sister, Ariel. She wasn't as enthusiastic as her mother, but she gave a little wave of her own.

His father kneeled beside them as if he was a lion protecting his pride. He had returned from his mission two nights before, just in time to see his son take the next big step in life. He gave Mory a nod, acknowledging the tough battle that Mory had to fight as a spora.

Mory nodded back and then shifted his focus to the headmaster. He was giving the traditional graduation closing statements and asked the graduates to stand.

"On this day, you shall fly from the nest and begin a new journey. You are the future of the Land of Birds, the future of Keanos, and the future of Earth."

He gave the birdman's salute to the crowd.

"At this time, you have all officially graduated from the Bird Land West Academy. Now, spread your wings and fly!"

The graduates and family members roared in excitement. Almost all of the former students summoned their wings and flew into the sky. Mory and a few other graduates who couldn't fly watched as their peers danced through the air joyfully. Although Mory had been jealous of the bird students for many years, he was amused to see them celebrate in that fashion. Even if he had to watch from the ground, he couldn't deny that it was a fascinating sight.

"Yo, Mory."

Mory turned his head and saw Marlon walking towards him. "You're not gonna fly with them?" Mory asked.

"I can fly anytime I want. No need to do it now while my best bud is on the ground." They bumped fists as Marlon continued. "We did it man. No more academy for us."

"Yeah. It's about time."

The two chatted for a little while as graduates were steadily returning to the ground and things were settling down.

"Alright, Mory. I'll catch you later. I'ma go holler at Nagi real quick."

"Nagi? It's graduation and you're still trying to spit game with girls?"

"She said something about moving to Swallow Village to start a flower shop. I gotta score one last date before she leaves."

"Yeah, I know. I'll swing by the hut later."

Marlon scooted off in a hurry. Mory went over to his family.

"Good job, Momo!" Ariel shouted.

His mother threw her arms around him. "You grew up too fast, Momo. Don't be so quick to leave home, you hear? You can stay with mommy forever."

While laughing Mory replied, "Cut it out, Mom. You'll make me look bad in front of everyone."

His father came up to him and placed his arm over his shoulders. He was a strong and muscular man, yet his embrace was warm and gentle.

"Well done, son. You're a man now. You've worked your butt off to get to this point."

"Thanks, Dad. I'm ready to give my mind a little break."

"Listen, Mory. I know that having a mammal manek has made things tough for you. A lot of people wanted you to quit. And fail. But you kept going. Son, I just want you to know, it doesn't matter what power you possess. You are my son and I love you with all of my heart. I am very proud of you."

"I couldn't have done it without you. And you too, Mom." He nudged his sister's shoulder with his fist. "And even you, Ariel ."

"Well, let's get home so we can feast and celebrate," said his father.

As they navigated through the swarm of people in the field, Mory heard a familiar voice call his name. He turned to see Master Metrion walking towards him.

"Mory, I just want to say that it has been a pleasure having you as a student. I wish you the best of luck for your future. Feel free to visit me here at the temple if you need anything."

"Thanks, Master. I'll be sure to visit every once in a while."

Metrion looked at his parents. "You two have raised a fine young man. He behaved much like you did when you were my student, Teon. A little mischievous at times but also determined when it mattered. And Zerella, he looks a lot like you did when you were his age. I do not doubt that your son will achieve great things in years to come."

"Thank you, master," said Teon. "That means a lot coming from you."

"Farewell," said Metrion before he made his way over to speak with another graduate.

They started to walk again but Mory would have one last fateful encounter with his number one enemy before leaving. Mory noticed Terias amid his herd of followers. Terias also caught sight of Mory. They were beyond speaking distance, but the hostile looks they gave each other said more than words ever could. Hatred radiated between them like ultraviolet rays. It was clear to both of them that graduation wouldn't change anything. They would always despise each other.

Their intense staredown was halted when an eerie noise ripped through the air with palpable vibrations. Everyone was silent after hearing the loud and unearthly sound. One would think that a god in the heavens was playing a defective trumpet. Their ears were stunned once again by the same sound. Teon knew exactly what the noise was and reacted quickly.

"It's an alarm from a bellbird manek user. You all need to get to safety now!"

"Alarm? For what?" Zerella asked nervously.

Teon answered her as a wave of anxiety and panic rushed over the the frantic crowd of people. 

"Two calls from the bellbird means that there is an attack on the Land of Birds. There's no time to waste. I have to go now. You and the children need to take shelter in the academy temple."

Zerella nodded with a stern look on her face as if she wanted to find a better solution but couldn't. Teon looked down at his daughter, who was shaking in fear. He leaned down a little and gently held her hands.

"Ariel, everything will be fine. I won't let anything happen to you or any of us. You are too precious to me."

She wrapped her arms around his neck. "Just please come back home."

"Don't you worry. I will."

As she released her hold, Teon stood face to face with his son.

"I just told you that you are a man now. If this situation gets out of hand, be strong and protect the ones that you love. Look after your mother and sister especially."

"Yes. I will do whatever I need to, but I'm sure it won't come to that."

"Let's hope not."

The two hugged and then Teon gave Zerella a goodbye kiss. He conjured the wings of a common buzzard and lifted off into the sky, heading westward. People rushed towards the temple as a few family members of other graduates, who also served in the air unit, urged them to get inside.

Mory thought about his talk with Sannis. He wondered if it was the start of the war between Keanos and Zitonia.