intent

Yuki
present

"Out of my way."

Every villain tries that line once. As if nitroglycerin can be deterred by spitting words.

I jump across the levels of cars gone abandoned in the streets, blood rushing steady. The villain tries to evade my right hand in the sky, the beat of her wings a frightful foe. Fire spans the length of entire avenues that once could've been escape routes, trapping our villain.

Kaido and Hina tighten the strings of the gripper trap. I lie in wait, the teeth waiting to bite down around her neck.

"Heroes sent children after me? I'm flattered."

The villain's dark clothes fail to conceal her in broad daylight. She strolls down the center of the road, her hips swaying, so certain she'll win. If it weren't for the mask on her face, I could see where she's aiming her next attack. Alas, like my own quirk, hers works with ambushing prowess.

Motioning with her fingers, she draws a line in the asphalt. It crawls from sidewalk to sidewalk as police cars storm the scene in the distance. The moment she snaps her fingers a force like that of a blade cuts through from underground to sky, shattering everything in its radius. The road splits in two, the city's buildings trembling in such a criminals' wake.

An earthquake may as well have hit. Police cars can't cross a road that doesn't exist anymore.

"Her power's called Tectonic, like a-"

"Like a tectonic plate. Got it."

Kirishima-san speaks to me through an earpiece. He's on a rooftop somewhere, watching me. This isn't a drill. It's not a training exercise either.

This is real. I'm in the line of fire. And it's just been so long, I may as well breathe in the smoke like a drug, let the high run its course as my explosions challenge the havoc with a little of their own.

Of course, we already have a flame-happy maniac for that.

"Inferno," Kaido coos into his earpiece. "Need a little help?"

"Keep blocking any possible escape routes," I order, propelling into the sky, distracting my villain from causing any more damage. "In the meantime, turn up the heat. I've got a plan."

"You're a tough toddler, aren't you?"

I smirk. She'll wish she had an earthquake to fall into when her flesh ignites and her bones crumble beneath the pressure. My palms heat at the prospect.

A few more back and forths and she's at her limit. Before I got to the scene, this particular villain managed to destroy an entire intersection. That isn't what fuels my sharpness nor my power as I send explosion after explosion she can only block with remnants of her power.

The mask she wears is the same as the man's who tried to take Ame. He isn't here this time. But I'm not about to let her get away because I was afraid to burn a little skin.

I land back on the now leveled ground. My shoes skid against the concrete. A single explosion grazes her clothes, threatening them. She hisses, tries to shield herself. I extend both arms, my costume letting loose more nitroglycerin than it has in a long time.

"I don't want to hurt anyone!" My villain yells, that deep voice forced, breathless even. Her hands shake, hair falling out of her hood, creeping over the mask.

"Take a step," she pants. "And my quirk will cut right through you."

She motions with both arms. Two lines form in the road right beneath my feet. She'll cause a sinkhole that'll swallow me. A step, in any direction, is futile.