04: The Plan

There's nothing crueller than letting a dream end midway ✵

Myself, Hange and Yani made our way into the board room. I always hated this room. It's dark, cold and the smell of damp wood is overwhelming. Erwin is sat at at the top of the table and there are about 12 other Captains, Corporals and Lieutenants sat along each side, all heading up different regiments.

Hange and Yani sit at the nearest side of the table opposite Levi, there is a seat next to him free. I walk over to it and place my hand on the wooden back and pull it towards me, but it doesn't move. I look up and see Levi is holding the back, keeping it pushed in. What happened to us? Why do you hate me? What did I do?

 What happened to us? Why do you hate me? What did I do?

a/n;; credit to unknown artist

"Dont even think about it Lieutenant, I don't want to sit here irritated for the next few hours", he seared, he looks up at me with eyes cold and empty. I purse my lips in irritation and take a seat on the very end of the table directly opposite Erwin.

Erwin places his tea on the table and we all fall silent, "You may be wondering why I've gathered you here today... Wall Rose has almost been breached". I feel all the colour drain out of my body. How? Wall Rose is our safe house. No titan has ever breached it.
I look around, everyone is silent. Faces awash with anxiety.

"So what's the plan Commander?" My eyes dart over to where the sound came from. Levi. He doesn't even look up from the table, maybe he doesn't want the rest of the table to see that he's also fearful.

"We use Jeager and Lieutenant L/n's dragons" Erwin responds. I thought my face couldn't go any whiter, but I'm wrong. "Jeager will carry the broken stone to the breach in Wall Rose, then Lieutenant L/n will ride with her dragons and use dragon fire to melt and solidify the smaller rocks into place." "But sir! The armour titan and collosal titan could still be near! We've not managed to locate the titan shifts yet!" One of the captain's from military regiment exclaims, sweat building on his brow.

"We have no choice, this is the only way we can ensure Rose isn't completely breached and over run." Erwin strokes his chin, looking at his stunned commanding team. My throat feels dry, this mission is a huge risk, but not doing it was not an option.

"My dragons will be ready", my dry throat finally being put to some use.
"Is there no possible way to do this without those giant flying eye sores?" I didn't even have to look to work out who spoke. I grit my teeth, it's taking all of my focus not to punch Levi right round the jaw. "Without those 'eye sores', we'd have a lot more innocent lives lost!" I retort.

"No Captain, the dragons are a must. The stone we have is not big enough to fill the gap, we have to melt and solidify the smaller stone to ensure our safety." At least Erwin appreciates the advantage my dragons give us.

"Mission will be going ahead tomorrow at dawn. Yani, your garrison regiment will standby on the wall where the breach is and support the scouts where needed. Ensure all of your teams are ready. Meeting over".

a/n;; credit to aot manga artist Hajime Isayama

Everyone sits in silence for a few moments, digesting what was about to happen tomorrow. I scan the room, taking in all of their faces.

This might be the last time I see some of them.