An Unexpected 18th Birthday Surprise

Phil Coulson woke up early the morning of his daughter's 18th birthday and decided to cook her, her favorite breakfast. He loved her with his whole heart. She was his entire world. He knew he wanted to make today special and that's exactly what he was going to do, by doing all her favorite things.

He cooked up her breakfast and traveled down the hallway of their home. He peeked into her doorway and she was still asleep in her bed. Her brown hair a mess, her eyes shut ever so peacefully, drool peeking out from the corner of her mouth. He chuckled at the sight and slowly entered into her room.

AMARA'S POV:

    "Hey, sleepy head. I made some breakfast." Dad said quietly.

He pushed at my arm gently to try an wake me. I groaned and covered my head with a pillow. Accidentally smacking him with it on the way down over my head.

    "Oh, so you want to play that way, huh?" He grinned and swiftly left the room. Returning shortly with a small metal bucket filled with freezing cold water. "I shall give your royal highness until the count of 5 to get her sleepy butt out of bed." He waited but a moment, and since I didn't stir. "1... 2... 3... *SPLASH*"

    "Oh, my god, DAD!" I shouted and sprang from my bed, soaked and cold.

    "Happy birthday, your royal highness." Dad chuckled.

He walked over and kissed my forehead. Ruffling my already drenched hair on his way back to the door.

    "You're so cleaning this mess up, you know! And I hate you!" I joked, calling out after him.

    "I love you too!" He chuckled, walking out of my room and down the hall towards the kitchen.

I piled my now soaking wet blanket's and sheet's into the hamper next to my bed. I certainly didn't want to miss out on my birthday breakfast. So my hair would have to wait and just get a slight towel dry for now. I grabbed a towel from my bathroom and crimped my hair with it as I walked out to the kitchen.

    "Are you awake now, jelly bean?" Dad chuckled. "I made you your favorite for breakfast. French toast with cinnamon sugar coating and my ever famous apple jam." He spoke proudly.

    "Thank you Dad, you're the best. Did I tell you, I love you? Cause I love you!" I sang and hugged him from behind. I walked around and sat at the island and dug into my favorite meal. Groaning in absolute delight.

My Dad and I have the world's best relationship. He adore's me, as much as I adore him. We are completely silly and goofy together. An inseparable pair so to say, whenever we can be. I don't think there could be a better father and daughter relationship than our's. He is my absolute best friend. We play so many prank's and joke's on each other. I can talk to him about anything. He understand's me and doesn't think I'm weird for all of the thing's that I can do.

    "So, Mar. Since today is your 18th birthday. I thought, maybe we could catch a matinee at the theater and then after we could do some shopping?" He asked as he sat down next to me, enjoying his breakfast and coffee as he always does.

    "That sounds great! Can we go see The Lucky One?... It's a romance, though. You sure you're up for it?" I eyed him with a silly expression before laughing and finishing up my meal.

    "Romance film. Hmm... Why not? Who doesn't love a good romance story. I hear Zac Efron is in it." He nudged me playfully.

    "Dad... How on earth do you know who Zac Efron is?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

    "Hey. I'm a cool cat. Down with the kid's these days." Dad was trying to act like, what he thought a cool kid would act like. Only it was more from his generation and even then, I still wasn't so sure it was cool.

    "You're such a weirdo!" I laughed. I climbed up from my seat and cleared our plate's. Walking to the sink and doing the couple of morning dishes that laid inside. I finished up quickly and wiped my hands with a dish towel. "Okay dishes are done. I'm going to go get ready now." I said.

    "Okay." Dad nodded. He had on his glasses, they were sitting at the edge of his nose like always as he was reading the morning paper.

    "Love you. Thank you for breakfast." I kissed his large bald forehead on my way by towards the bathroom.

    "You're very welcome. Love you the most. Don't take to long, okay?" He called out without even glancing up.

    "Okay!" I shouted over my shoulder.

I walked into the bathroom and took a quick, hot shower. When I was done, I grabbed a pair of my favorite jean's and a yellow flowing tee shirt. I brushed out my long chocolate brown hair that reached just below my shoulder blades. I walked out and sat on the bench near the front door putting on my converse sneakers.

    "Dad, I'm almost ready. How's it coming?" I shouted as I tied up my last shoe.

    "I'm here. Let's go catch that movie."

We smiled at each other, walking out of the house and climbing into my father's, 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. He backed down the driveway and sped off towards our destination. I rolled my window down and put on my sunglasses, relaxing and enjoying the ride.

    "You left your hair down." Dad said suddenly, without taking his eye's off the road. Both hand's on the wheel at 10 and 2 and his usual dark shades on.

    "Huh? Oh... Yeah. I-I decided I want to leave it down today." I said nervously with a small shrug. Weaving my finger's through my hair and twisting it a little. A nervous habit of mine.

His hand reached over and pushed my arm down away from my hair.

    "Don't. You're so beautiful either way. I like that you decided to let it down." He reassured me sweetly.

I took a deep breath and calmed down some. Ever since I was a kid I was always so self conscious. Always worried about what other people thought about me. I knew I was different from everyone else. And that alone sparked a lot of confidence issue's in me.

    "Hey, we're here. Lets go!" Dad said excitedly taking me out of my own thoughts.

    "Okay, okay. Calm down." I chuckled and got out of the passenger side seat.

We walked inside the theater. I bought our tickets while Dad got the snack's.

    "Popcorn, Pepsi, and of course." He goofily, drummed his fingers along the counter before pulling two bag's around his back. "Gummy worms!" I couldn't help but laugh.

    "You're such a goof. How did I get so lucky with a Dad who knows me so well?" I grinned at him.

    "Just fate and luck, I guess." He shrugged his shoulders and smiled.

We took our seats in the back of the theater and watched the romantic film together. It was such a great time and movie. I even saw some tear's roll down his face during the movie. I was sure to tease him about it later.

When the movie was finally over we walked outside and as we went to get back into the car, Dad's phone started ringing.

    "Hello?.... Yes, sir... I understand... I'll be there right away."

    "What was that?" I asked curiously.

    "Sorry, Jelly bean. Something's come up at work and i'm being called in." He looked sad for a moment, but then his arm's rested up on the roof of the car and he looked over at me with a sudden brighter expression. "Why don't you come with me? It'll be a fun Father, Daughter trip. I won't have to leave you home alone on your birthday and you're old enough now to join if you decided."

    "You mean, go... on a... Shield mission?" I asked in disbelief with a slight squeak and he nodded. "Well yeah, duh! Of course, I want to come!" I exclaimed excitedly and he chuckled, climbing into the car.

We both got into the car and he drove us to the Shield Headquarter's building in New York City. Not to far from where we lived. We traveled up to the helicopter pad on the roof and climbed into the chopper that was waiting for us.

    "So, where exactly are we going?" I asked him excitedly. I've always wanted to become a Shield agent just like my Father, ever since I was a little girl.

    "We are going to Nevada." He answered me simply.