21

My body went into shock soon after the incident with Alma happened. I almost attacked her, my friend.. my literal best friend. The terrifying scene kept flashing across my mind, over and over again.

I sat at Alma's bedside, staring blankly at my sparkling engagement ring. It's tiny, squarish diamonds shimmered as I wiggled my fingers back and forth. Rose slowly approached me before she squeezed both of my shoulders, our eyes met,

"Chin up, Renee, all vampires have lost control at some point. It's normal vampire instincts. I know its scary to experience such a feeling—"

Her body language shifted as she suddenly stared at our feet, lost in her own thoughts. I tightened my eyebrows downward in confusion. Alison was such a strong person — a beautiful, warm, compassionate soul. I could hardly imagine her any different.

"Alison?" I pressed seriously, my brown eyes narrowed at her.

"Back when I was a newborn, I was a bloodsucking maniac." She chuckled with a deep sigh, "Blood was something I could never get enough of. Elliot had to keep me on watchful eyes because I would suck down all the blood bags in the fridge. Some nights I would sneak out and come back hours later with a blood soaked eyes and dried stains on my cheeks."

"You? Alison Rose, ended up—" Rose nodded and simply chuckled before she burst out laughing,

"You caught me." She put out her wrists playfully as if she was waiting to be arrested, "I was a little spitfire." I laughed and rolled my eyes before pulling her into a hug. My eyes closed as she rubbed my back whispering in a mumble, "You are nothing but alone, Renee. I know losing control can be a shock and feel embarrassing, it was for me, but all vampires make mistakes. I sure have."

The incident flashed in my head like a bad dream and I flinched at the memory. Rose held me tight as I was feeling the guilt pop up again. Her slender pale fingers stroked my curls as she comforted me. I breathed in her scent — it's sweetness engulfed me like a ray of sunshine beating down on my body. A warm, citrus smell.

"It's okay, honey." Rose soothed, "Alma is going to be a fierce newborn whose probably going to beat us up, especially Elliot." She teased.

"You know I can hear you all the way over here, Alison." Elliot teased, sitting on the living room couch and sucking on another blood bag. "Besides, she will probably beat you when it comes to races."

Rose pulled back from our hug and narrowed her eyes towards the living room,

"I'm forever the race champion, brother."
"Okay, Rose, whatever you say." Elliot smirked and stifled a laugh almost choking on his blood bag.

Rose and I both laughed.

                      ~

Elliot, Rose, and I kept close watch on Alma in the hours that passed. Her body was quiet, almost stiff with no life. Her skin was turning a pale grey.

I was becoming impatient and this waiting game was almost painful. My mousy eyes studied her raven black hair that cascaded over her shoulders. I reached out and stroked her arm, it was ice cold.

"She should of turned by now, right?" I pressed, biting the insides of my cheeks in frustration.

"Patience, angel." Elliot purred, "Alma will wake up soon." He dashed to my side before planting a kiss on my head. I sighed and closed my eyes from his calming demeanor. Elliot tipped my chin up and I got lost in his transparent blue eyes.

"It can take longer depending on the person." Rose tapped her chin and sighed, "Elliot was faster with his transition than mine."

"We all know that was because I was the first born." Elliot teased while giving Rose a look.