Epilogue

Epilogue

I sat with Winnie, Sarah, and Will by my side on the beach after graduation. The water was still too cool to swim in, but the early May weather was warm enough to sit out in. The sand was still cool as the sun wasn't fully uncovered from the clouds. I still haven't found closure with my mom and I don't think I ever will. Sarah has no closure for Stacy's death, and Winnie has no closure for the night Sarah tried to kill herself. But even At that moment it seemed the rain had let up. I was enrolled in college and was set to move to New Hampshire in early August. Will wouldn't be far since he was also going out of state but to Vermont, it would only be an hour drive to see each other. Sarah and Winnie decided to take some time off and discover what lies outside our hometown. I felt a little foolish for thinking things would get better, but I almost felt like I just couldn't lose anything else. For once, it felt like the sun was finally shining through. It's ironic because it seems my pain and the rain are related, but in May in the midst of spring, there is no rain. The birds have started chirping again, I hear the ducks quacking at the pond near my house, snow won't be in the forecast for another four months, things seemed better. Even though my heart was still in tatters as a result of my mother dying, the pain didn't take my breath away anymore. I looked forward to the future instead of fearing it. For the first time, in my entire life, I felt free.

As I stared into the sun, I got up and walked closer to the water. And then I waded into it, soaking my cap and gown. I waved the others over to come on in. "You know we have to return those," Will shouted from the shore. Winnie and Sarah didn't seem to mind, they ran over to the water and jumped right in. Will seemed to have no choice but to follow. "I am not getting fined for damage to my cap and gown," he said as he took off his cap and gown. We all stared in shock to see he had been wearing swim trunks under his gown the whole time. "What did you really think I didn't come prepared?" he laughed. We all stood there splashing around in the water, happy to have a breath of fresh air. Will and I shared a kiss as we stood in the water, letting the waves crash into us. Winnie and Sarah stood facing the sky, watching the clouds clear. I could only hope that things would get better as I stood with my arms wrapped around Will. As we all slowly huddled together, I think the feeling of being free was mutual. The weights had been taken off our shoulders and carried away with the wind. In that moment, I knew that regardless of which direction our lives went, it would be okay.

The end.