Chapter 5 : If Hell Was A Place On Earth

A. N. - I know I'm late and I'm so so sorry about it🥺 And all those people who have a faint heart, keep your tissues nearby because you're in for an emotional rollercoaster😭

3 sentences.
That's all it took to completely destroy a person. And that said person was Dr. Abhimanyu Birla.

As an astronomical amount of grief combined with an enormous amount of pain doused every hair on his body, he stared at the horrified faces of every Goenka present in front of him. And a sudden reality slammed into him as those gloomy feelings started to penetrate his skin.

"Akshu ka music? Woh gaa toh sakegi na?" Abhimanyu heard Kairav vocalize his worst fears and even if a tiny part of him hoped for a positive reply, the better part of him knew what Dr. Anand was about to say.

"Shayad woh ab kabhi nahi gaa sakegi," he disclosed unexpressively and the blood leached out of Abhimanyu's face. His expressions mirrored that of everyone from Akshara's family and his feet staggered behind as Dr. Anand rubbed a comforting hand on Kairav's shoulder before he left to give some time to the family. Abhimanyu tried to put as much distance as possible between the ICU and himself but it wasn't going to be so easy, was it?

"It's Abhimanyu for you."
"Aaj tumhari chupi woh saare jawaab de rahi hai jo mujhe har din chubenge Akshara."
"LEAVE!"
"Ab hamare beech kuch bhi nahi hai."

He stopped short and his body started to tremble as his words from the previous night began to float across his mind along with visuals of Akshara's tear-stained face. He looked like a man holding a dagger to his own heart, suffering with every twist of the blade yet unable to pull the damned thing out. He dug his fingernails into his palms and slammed his eyes shut to stop the torment his mind was raining on him and anxiety that was starting to mix with every single emotion he was feeling. But no amount of effort was going to help Abhimanyu today. The words began to ring in his ears and incapable of bearing it anymore, he clamped his palms on his ears and snapped his eyes shut.

"NAHI!" He screeched deafeningly and every head in the corridor hurled in his direction. Neil, who was looking for Abhimanyu, heard his cry and he ran in his direction as soon as he spotted Abhimanyu.

"Bhai!" Neil exclaimed as he tried to pull Abhimanyu's hands down but Abhimanyu's vice-like grip made his efforts futile. Abhimanyu's body was shaking violently and Neil had no idea what was going on. He had never seen such a torturous expression on Abhimanyu's face as he tried to hold on to his ears like his life depended on it, repeating 'Nahi' like a mantra. Neil glanced around as he heard whispers being shared.

"Aur koi kaam nahi hai kya?" He questioned sternly and the crowd around Abhimanyu dispersed faster than lightning. As he watched the nurses and other doctors disappear, he focused back on Abhimanyu.

"Bhai!" He called out again and this time Abhimanyu seemed to listen. Slowly, Abhimanyu dropped his hands by his sides as he opened his eyes to the familiar voice, a tinge of relief washed over his features and his trembles faded away before the unshed tears lining his eyes started to fall down his cheeks.

"Neil," Abhimanyu gasped and so much agony flooded in his eyes, Neil's jaw dropped open in complete shock before Abhimanyu heaved out, "Akshu." Confusion crossed Neil's eyes before he saw Abhimanyu pointing a finger toward something behind him. He turned his head in that direction and his eyes fell on the Goenka family across the corridor. Manish, Mimi, and Swarna were seated on the chairs with their heads in their hands while Kairav was wiping off his tears as Vansh tried to console him. Aarohi just entered from the opposite end of the corridor, looking like she had run a marathon. Every member was present there, except Akshara. Realization doused over Neil like a bucket of ice-cold water and his head snapped back in Abhimanyu's direction. Fresh tears coursed down Abhimanyu's face and he was about to collapse on his knees when Neil held his arms to keep him upright. But the Gods above had decided to shred every last piece of Abhimanyu's heart and the last straw holding it together was just about to snap.