Chapter 7.2 : Demons Of The Past

A.N. - Please read the author's note at the end!

After lunch, Abhimanyu had left to attend to his patients while Akshra spent the rest of the day surrounded by her family. Now that Abhimanyu had finally given up the idea of staying as far away from her as possible and they had worked through some of their obstacles, there was a different chirpiness in her behavior. Her family members had hardly paid any heed to the change because they were just happy to have their Akshu back. But Kairav had noticed the difference and he knew the reason behind it too.

It was late evening when the Goenkas left Akshara's room and headed home, their visiting hours coming to an end. Kairav had convinced them to let him stay behind with Akshara and when they had agreed, he had heaved a sigh of relief. After all, there was a lot of work to do if he wanted to help Abhimanyu in finding a solution. And if he stayed back, Akshara and Abhimanyu could spend some quality time together while he researched on Abhimanyu's behalf. He may not know the dynamics of their relationship but after witnessing Akshara through the afternoon, he just knew that the glow on his sister's face was Abhimanyu's gift. He may have been blind at first but now he knew that no matter what, these two people loved each other and keeping them away would be a sin that even God wouldn't forgive. So, he left Akshara's room when her physiotherapist arrived for their evening session and headed straight for the cabin that held her heart.

The therapy session went by better than the one in the morning. Akshara was able to walk a few steps on her own and terming that as progress after praising her for it, the physiotherapist left a little earlier than their session was supposed to end. Once the doctor had made her comfortable on the bed and was out of sight, Akshara went back to the few things that needed her undivided attention. The tension between Abhimanyu and her was now a story of the past but the stress between Abhimanyu and his mom still needed to be ameliorated. With his past now in the mix and the time to think about it, Akshara knew what needed to be done provided she had a chance to be with Abhimanyu alone. As much as she wanted to spend every waking moment in his presence, she knew it wasn't possible. One, because he had commitments other than to be at her beck and call, not that he would have minded, and two, because she was still scared of how her family would react to the news of them being together in case they were caught. She had an idea of how much her family despised the great Dr. Abhimanyu Birla and it was selfish, but she didn't want to give up the happy bubble they were living in just yet. There was a major possibility that things would go completely downhill and the worst possible outcome would include her choosing between her family and her Abhi. And Akshara knew for a fact that she would rather die than make that choice. Not after him trusting her enough to bear his heart right out in front of her. Not after knowing his past. Akshara was so deep in thought that she completely missed the door being unlocked and someone striding in with their hands filled. It wasn't until that person deposited the contents on the side table and clicked their fingers in front of Akshara that she was startled out of her rumination.

"Abhi!" She gasped as her hand flew to her heart at the sudden interruption.

"Kaha khoyi hui thi?" He asked as he took a seat on the stool beside her bed and brought the plate of food to his lap.

"Mei.. mei woh.." she stammered, desperate to find a lie that seemed truthful enough for Abhimanyu to not ask further questions. As much as she wanted to talk to him about everything on her mind, the smile on his face was making it difficult for her to be honest and steal Abhimanyu's cheerfulness. "Abhiiiiii.." Akshara whined as she stared at the contents of the food plate he was revealing one by one with horror-filled eyes. Abhimanyu immediately looked up at her voice and stared at her with confusion dancing on his face. "Tum jaante ho na mujhe yeh bland khana bilkul pasand nahi hai!" She grumbled as she crossed her arms in front of her chest and pouted like a 2-year-old. A small, deep laugh rumbled from his chest at her petulance before he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and regarded her with warm eyes.