Chapter 43

Jasmin's POV

   Today is another anniversary of Gisette's death. Ma and I go to the cemetery every year. Today, Joan and Do are with us.

We're all looking at her tombstone.  Ma puts the tulips we got Gisette down on the ground in front of it.

"Tulips were her favorite."  Mama says.  "They're mine, too."  Joan responds.  "I guess I love women that love tulips."  Mama jokes, a single tear escaping.

I begin to cry my eyes out, being comforted by Do.  Ma and Joan hug me as well.  "I know you miss her, baby.  I want you to know that she's so proud of you," says Mama.

"I....I know she would be,"  I say, huffing and sniffling erratically.  "She would be......happy that we've.....found a family."

.....

Ma and Joan are cooking dinner downstairs together while Do and I are in her room.  The door is locked of course.

We're cuddled up on her bed, her being the little spoon.  "How are you feeling, Babe?"  She says.

"I'm still a bit sad.  No matter how long ago she died, it'll always be hard for me."  She turns around, facing me now, and puts her hands on my cheeks.

Her hands are always so soft.  Baby soft.  She's so delicate and precious.  "I know it's tough, but just know, I'm always here for you, Jasmin."

She smiles at me.  I gently kiss her lips.

"It's crazy to think about how far we've come.  I went from not wanting you in my room to wanting to be in your pants every chance I get."  I say with a smile.

She giggles.  "I'm glad things turned around.  From the moment I saw you, I knew you were something special."

"Do,"  I say, looking down.  "I just want you to know......You're more than just a good fuck to me.  You've always been there for me.  You've always cared about my feelings and let me express them even when I couldn't.  You've turned my life upside down, for the better.  You made it brighter.  You made it more fun.  I love you, Do Chi."  I say with the softest voice, sincerely looking into her eyes.

She smiles at me.  "Let's get married, Jasmin."  "Are you serious?"  I inquire with a hopeful smile.

"I'm as serious as a heart attack.  I mean, why not?  We're both in our early twenties, so we're old enough to make our own choices.  We're old enough to drink, why not make the choice and get married?  We both know that we love each other, so why not, y'know?"

"But neither of us have an engagement ring.  Is it kinda unconventional to get engaged without one?"

"Jasmin, we're not a conventional couple."  She says, giggling and smiling brightly.  "You know what, I'm sold.  Fuck it, let's get married!"  I respond, the biggest smile I've ever smiled on my face.