Friends

Happy Birthday to the Bestest Bestie in the whole wide world, Vicky! I love you, V, and I hope you enjoy this chapter even if it's one day late ;) Everyone, check out her incredible graphics on Instagram @hopeforhopan_ or on my Instagram @gleechild_fic where she helps create amazing covers for my stories along with another friend.

* * *

"Do you think we're safe here?"

He wanted to tell his new friend they were, but he knew the truth.

No place was safe until the monster was caught... at least not for Peter.

He didn't have any reason to fear the monster. The monster couldn't kill him, but it could hurt him. He really didn't like pain.

So, he was hiding in a barn.

The barn had very few places to hide, but he found one and burrowed into it trying to make himself as small as possible.

Someone else snuck into the barn, looking for a place to hide too, and he recognized the person immediately.

Peter was a well-liked fellow in the community. His father was head of the village, a proud man who was trying to lead the men in taking out the monster that was hounding their growing home. Most of the younger men of Peter's age were eager to fight as well, though their fathers were reluctant to involve them.

Seemed Peter was more like him in wanting to hide away until the monster was dealt with. He wasn't surprised. He spent his life observing, watching, trying to understand the world he had been created to be a part of and the people in it.

Watching Peter get on with foolish pursuits in the company of his mates after village duties were finished, he felt the desire to be a part of their fun. These were a group of friends who grew together, did everything together from treks through the forest or simply getting into trouble.

Not too keen on the 'getting in trouble' part since it involved an angry father, he still longed to be a part of something more.

To be part of anything so as not to feel so alone.

Therefore, despite giving himself away and revealing his long-hidden presence, he reluctantly motioned the young man over to join him in the tiny alcove of the barn. It was either that or chance the monster coming into the barn and... yeah. He would rather the monster just move on.

That was how he found himself miraculously making his first friend in Peter who was grateful for his help.

"Have you seen it?" Peter whispered. "The monster?"

He shook his head. "Not since I ran."

"Think it'll find us here?"

"I hope not."

His voice was raspy from disuse. Most people didn't talk to him. He knew how, but no one ever thought his words were worth hearing.

"What's your name?"

He was about to speak when sounds from outside the barn penetrated and made him close his mouth and cringe.

Monsters were scary. Father sought them out on purpose, but he didn't like them.

"I think the sounds are moving away," Peter whispered, listening cautiously. "Papa said the men would lead the monster out of the village."

"Father will stop it," he whispered back.

"All the men are doing what they can," Peter said. "Papa told me to hide."

He didn't reply. He knew no one but Father could stop the monster.