Lost

"Why did Cl-Ryan quit?" Josie couldn't hold back the question if she tried.

She and Hope were setting up the spell to astral project into the prison world to search for Cleo. She knew they needed to be mentally prepared since the spell was still a bit dangerous, but she just couldn't stop her anger. She needed to know why, and Clarke saying it wasn't any of her business just ticked her off even more.

Hope glanced up for a moment but went back to setting up the room without responding.

"It's hard to believe my dad would let him without a good reason." Her annoyance was shifting directions. Why wouldn't Hope answer her?

"Did you ask him?" Hope asked.

"I did. He told me it wasn't my business." Josie made a face as she leaned forward to light a candle.

"Your dad said that?" Hope was surprised. Doctor Saltzman would know that response would make her decide it was her business and make her more determined to know.

"No. Ryan," Josie said through clenched teeth.

"You seem really upset about it." Hope stopped setting up finally to look at her friend. It was true. But why would Josie be upset? She would think Jo would want Ryan to quit.

Josie sighed, feeling some of the anger ease, knowing part of it stemmed from not being able to talk about it.

"You know I hated the idea of him teaching one of my classes..."

"I figured."

"Until I didn't." Josie admitted.

Hope raised an eyebrow.

"He apologized to me publicly. Well, at least in class."

Nodding, "That was a long time coming."

"It was." Josie was quick to explain, "I haven't forgiven him though, and I probably never will."

"Understandable."

"But..." Josie was surprised it didn't pain her that much to admit this. "He wasn't a bad teacher. Even as Vardemus, he was good at it. I feel kind of... I guess, betrayed again since he just up and quit."

Hope bit her lip. She should tell her the truth. At least then maybe Josie could redirect some of that anger at her. She had wanted to keep what they were doing private though.

But if Josie was really willing to give Ryan a chance... Telling her could go either way.

"We kissed."

"What?" Josie nearly knocked a candle over.

"Ryan and me." Hope turned to light another candle. "I'm not talking about it with you. Not right now anyway. But he had a reason. A good one."

Josie wasn't sure how she felt about any of that, and she definitely didn't want to talk about it right now either.

"Okay, I think I'm ready." Josie's mind was definitely racing far away from thoughts of Hope and Clarke being together. Her mind was never more clear.

Hope held up a hand. "Don't tell anyone though, okay? Not even Lizzie."

"Lips are sealed." Josie mimed zipping them. "Let's go find Cleo!"

"Let's."

* * *

"Hope!" Lizzie called after her.

Hope spun on her heel, "Yes?" She was hoping to get back to her room as fast as possible.