Sacrifice

They woke slowly together, tangled up in each other, their clothes still in place though a bit haphazard.

Hope's head nestled into his chest, body turned towards him, one leg stretched across his hip.

Ryan's chin rested against the top of her head, his free arm wrapped around her, pulling her close.

She shifted and he muttered sleepily before easing away from her.

"Don't go," she mumbled, attempting to pull him back.

Then she realized why he was trying to move away when she felt something pressing against her stomach. She stilled.

"Sorry," he whispered sleepily as he, once again, tried to ease away from her.

She couldn't help it. She giggled. "Well, you did say you're a real boy now."

"Oh, that worked really well before." He relaxed as he noted she didn't mind his awkward morning wakeup call. "Except for the whole possibility of conception part."

He closed his eyes again, wanting to memorize everything happening in that moment so he could revisit it once he left. He would never forget Hope, and he never wanted to forget mornings like these waking up wrapped up in her.

"Is that part of your whole plan for a normal human life?" she asked, not liking the way the thought hit her. Yes, she knew Ryan would be leaving soon. She knew what they had was fleeting. She had asked him to live with her for 'today'... so why did the thought of 'tomorrow'—when he was gone searching for his normal human life amongst normal humans and starting a family—leave an awful feeling in her stomach. Like she was going to be sick.

"Eventually?" It had been his dream for as long as he could remember. "Not really in a rush for that. Adjusting to living as a human is the first step. The rest will come."

"Just like that, hmm? Do you think it'll be easy?" She pushed past the thoughts making her ill, trying to put them out of her mind.

"Nothing is ever easy," he murmured. "I think I'll appreciate it more though—living. Being immortal, I took it for granted. As a human, it can end at any moment."

"Don't remind me." She burrowed her face deeper into his chest, wishing she could do something about Malivore on the loose. Wishing there was some way to put Ryan in a protective shield so Malivore could never get to him.

He brought his hand to her face, easing her back so he could look into her eyes. "Promise me something?"

She nodded slowly, but said, "Depends on the promise."

"If I get stuck in Malivore again, don't hesitate. Don't wait. Kill him."

She tried to pull away from him, shaking her head, but he gripped her more tightly. "I can't go back there, Hope. I can't exist like that. If it happens—

"I won't let it," she insisted, finally pushing his hand away and sitting up. "He won't get to you."

"You and I both know anything can happen. And if it comes down to it, I need to know..."

She rested her forehead on her palm, breathing deeply, trying to sort through the emotions gripping her. She didn't want to think about this. She wouldn't allow it to happen.

He sat up next to her. "Promise me?"

She took another deep breath. That was it. She would not allow it to happen. So she could make that promise to him. The promise would not be needed.

"Fine. I promise."

"Thank you." He could see in her face how much it pained her to concede that.

She reached to take his hand, gripping it tightly, so he gripped hers back.