year 1:2

Maria's POV

"Slytherin!" Announced the sorting hat that was placed above my brother

"Slytherin!" Announced the sorting hat that was placed above my brother. I clapped and cheered for him watching as he high fived his new friends who were also sorted in Slytherin.

"Maria Malfoy." Professor McGonagall called my name next. My heart was beating out of my chest as I sat down on the wooden stool.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were already sorted into Gryffindor. I was bummed knowing I wouldn't be in the same house as my new friends.

"Ah yes yes the other half of the Malfoy pair." The sorting hat said in a deep voice. "Although twins, much difference between the two."

"Gryffindor!"

"What!" I yelled, instantly regretting it, throwing a hand over my mouth. Every person in the great hall look at be bewildered, even Hermione.

The Gryffindor table broke the awkward silence and started clapping, resulting in claps across the room. I looked to Draco who looked just as confused as I was.

"I have to talk to my father about this." I said turning to professor McGonagall.

"Not now dear, if you wish to contact your father then you will need to speak with Professor Dumbledore about it first."

~~~~~~

"Professor Dumbledore this has to be a mistake, I mean, I'm a Malfoy!" I stated rising from my chair what was placed across from the Hogwarts headmaster.

"Miss Malfoy, the sorting hat takes pride in admitting that it never makes mistakes." Dumbledore said calmly never moving from his headmaster chair.

Suddenly the door burst open and my father walks in, walking stick at his side. I didn't even wanna look up at my father. I know he is disappointed.

"Where is that hat I swear I will burn it for embarrassing my daughter like this." My father spat walking right past me, slamming a hand on Dumbledores desk.

"Lucius, you and I both know the hat does not make mistakes."

"Well it did this time!" Father yelled again slamming his hand on the desk. My father slicked back his hair and looked back at me.

I kept my head down, I felt my fathers walking stick under my chin raising my head up to meet his eyes. "Chin up Maria, you are Slytherin. No matter what the dumb hat says."

My father turned back to Dumbledore quickly, "She will be in Slytherin. Maria!" My father yelled making me jump up to my feet.

"Yes father?"

"Join your brother in the Slytherin common room now."

I looked over to Dumbledore who now stood up to face my father. "Lucius I understand the frustration. However, if i let every student who was unhappy with their house sorting change to the house they wanted. I wouldn't have a school. The tradition of the sorting hat would be tarnished. I'm sorry, Maria will be in Gryffindor. No exceptions."

My father was fuming at this point. Fists were clenched, his breath heavy, the vein in his neck was nearly popping out. "Albus, give us a minute."

"This is my office." Dumbledore said sarcastically. Almost making me crack a smile.

"Albus!" My father snapped, Dumbledore just shook his head and walked past me, laying a hand on my shoulder on the way out.

My father bent down in front of me. My eyes filled with tears as I looked at my father who was disappointed. "No tears Maria. No tears." My father said making me sit up straighter holding back the tears in my eyes.

"I'm sorry father." I said frowning.

"You and Draco." My father said sighing. "Were always different. Me and your mother knew that."

"So what you are gonna do, is go to.." my father was struggling to even get out the words. "To the Gryffindor common room." I smiled.

"You are gonna show them, show this whole school that you are a Malfoy. You are a pure witch. You are bold, clever, smart, and daring. You are also short tempered like me." My fathers statement made me chuckle. "You have big ambitions, and you are determined. You are the perfect mix of both Slytherin and Gryffindor. And that is okay."

I gave him a small smile and my father pulled me in and gave me a kiss on the head. My father was always softer with me then with Draco. I am his little girl after all.

"So can I go to the Gryffindor common room now?" My dad chuckled and lowered his head nodding.

"Yes darling."

~~~~~~~

Professor McGonagall walked me down the long halls and into the Gryffindor common room. I smiled to thank you and walked in to see dozen of Hogwarts students. I even saw Harry and Ron sitting together playing chess. I walked up behind them to say hello.

"That Malfoy one is a character huh Harry?" Ron stated making me stop in my tracks. Harry just shrugged and looked up meeting my eyes.

"Uh Ron-"

"Like she can't just get what she wants because she's a Malfoy right?"

"Ron I wouldn't-"

"You saw how Draco treated me, we dodged a bullet with that one."

"Ron! Stop!" Harry said motioning behind him. Ron turned around and saw me, making his face go ghost white.

"That is rude Ron Weasley. How dare you speak to me like this." Oh i was so angry. I stormed over to the other side of the room, sitting on the windowsill. Father was right, I am short tempered, but I feel like I had good reason for this. No matter, I will not let anyone ruin my experience. I deserved to be here just like everyone else.