year 1:3

Maria's POV

Me and Hermione were sitting next to each other in potions class getting ready to start

Me and Hermione were sitting next to each other in potions class getting ready to start. The door shot open and Professor Snape walked in, his black robe flowing with the pace of his fast walk.

Harry was on the other side of Hermione paying no attention to the Professor.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or no silly incantations in this class."

Draco was seated in the row in front of me. We had not had much time to talk about what happened at the sorting ceremony. Just quick words in passing. I hope to be able to speak to him soon. Snape kept going over the rules of this class when I noticed my brother smirking with Crabbe and Goyle.

"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind, and snare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame and brew glory and even put a stopper in death." I noticed as if Snape was talking directly to Draco. Not even looking over at me. I mean after all I am his twin?

They must have an understanding since Snape is head of Slytherin house.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts with possessions of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to NOT pay attention." Snape said crossing his arms, now turning his attention to Harry.

Hermione elbowed Harry making him put his Quill down. I rolled my eyes, then a paper was slid over to me from my left. I looked over and saw Ron, motioning me to open it.

I opened the note that read:
Sorry about what I said. You are actually pretty cool. Still friends?

I folded up the note and put it in my robe pocket. I nodded smiling over to Ron. He had a look of relief on his face and slumped back into his chair.

"Miss Malfoy." Snape said earning my attention.

"Care to show what is so important that you are causing distractions in my class room?"

"Uh no sir. Sorry sir." I said sitting up in my chair.

"Do not tarnish your family name Miss Malfoy. Pay attention and I will not ask again."

"Yes sir of course."

I saw Draco look back at me, he looked both annoyed and angry. I mouthed sorry to him, which in return just shook his head.

~~~~~~

"Good afternoon class."

"Good afternoon Madam Hooch." The whole class replied. Today was the day we learn how to fly on a broom.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson! Well what are you waiting for, everyone step up to the left side of your broomstick." We did as we were told.

"Stick your right hand over the broom and say UP."

Harry's broom shot up into his hand immediately. Me and Hermione looked at him bewildered. It took me a few more tries but eventually got my broom up. I looked across and saw that Draco had as well.

Hermione and Ron were still struggling, Ron even got mounted in the face with his causing a laugh between Harry and I.

"Oh shut up you two." He said trying to hold in his own laughter.

"Once you get a hold of your broom I want you to mount it, and grip it tight. You don't want to be sliding off the end." The whole class followed her instructions and we got onto our brooms.

"When I blow my whistle I want each of you to kick off the ground hard. Keep your broom steady, then lean forward slightly, and touch back down."

Madam Hooch blew her whistle and Neville was the first to take off, although he looked as if he was unable to control it.

"Mr. Longbottom!" Madam Hooch yelled but Neville took off above all of us.

Neville was really struggling in the air. Doing turns and barely holding on. And swooped back down making all of us jump to us side as he was so close to the ground.

Neville eventually made it down to the ground. However, without his broom.

"Everyone out of the way." Madam Hooch announced making all of us back away from the fellow Gryffindor.

"I think he's gonna be okay." I whispered to Hermione who nodded.

Madam Hooch took Neville to the hospital wing, and we were instructed to not get on our brooms.

Draco had Neville's remembrall in his hand, and joined the rest of the class. "Did you see his face? Maybe if the fat lump had given this a squeeze. He wouldn't have fallen on his fat arse!"

"Draco!" I yelled pushing past students. "Stop being a bloody arse yourself."

The group of students ood and awed at my little comment. This time Harry came up and stood next to me. "Give it here Malfoy."

"No. I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find." And with that Draco jumped up on his broom and took off.

"What's wrong Potter? Bit beyond your reach?"

I rolled my eyes and hopped on my broom joining my brother in the air. Looks like these flying lessons my father set up for me and my brother this summer were coming to good use. "Draco, seriously we could get expelled for fooling around like this."

"Oh don't lecture me Maria. You're the one who screwed everything up and was sorted into Gryffindor. Now I have to save our family name! Go back down with your new friend saint Potter."

Then a felt a brush of wind swoosh by me. "Give it here Malfoy or I'll knock you off your broom."

It was Harry! And he seemed to be holding onto his broom for dear life as he was obviously unsteady.

"Is that so?" Draco asked amused. "Have it your way then." He threw Neville's remembrall out back toward the castle. Harry flew by me quickly to retrieve it.

"What is the matter with you!" I called.

"What the matter with me? What's the matter with you! Scumming around with half bloods and muggles. What would father say to this!"

"Draco I already talked to father. He is letting me stay in Gryffindor."

Draco looked at me as if i had grown a third head. "If you aren't gonna take this seriously, then I will."

I rolled my eyes, "Draco not everything in this world is about being the best wizard or the richest. I'm here to become a good solid witch! And I know that's why you are here too, you let your Slytherins talk you into being this big bad wizard, but I don't believe that and neither do you."

What I said must have had meaning because Draco got the smug look off his face and traded it in with a sympathetic one. "You're right. I'm sorry for being an arse to ya."

"You are still my brother, and I still love you."

Draco nodded, "Yeah yeah." Flying off past me. I followed him and I saw that Harry had gotten back the remembrall. The group of students were cheering. I stood by Draco as Professor McGonagall came and took Harry back into the castle.

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle were all chuckling. I rolled my eyes. I understand Draco as to keep up his bad boy image to not let anyone walk all over him or me. I just wish he would be his true self.