Part 15

Wednesday 7:30PM

Joy was silent as we walked to the Jeep. She was deep in thought as usual and even from the short time I had known her I knew talking to her when she was in that state was pointless. She drove. As she merged onto the intestate my stomach let out a growl that competed with the stereo. She looked at me and laughed.

"Look your Joyrides have my eating schedule royally messed up. I'm starving."

"Ohhh," she said coming back to our reality.

"You haven't eaten anything. Oh my goodness! Can we stop somewhere closer to home?" She pleaded sympathetically.

"Of course. I'm feeling tacos, Aloha tacos."

"Taqueria Tsunami?" She smiled.

"Damn skippy. Asian pear sangrias too."

"You're on Nick. I'm down for that."

I figured then was as good as any to ask her about parking the trailer behind the building. She was after all a captive audience behind the wheel. But I was curious about Davenwood.  I was still piecing his story together. 

"You think you're going to have trouble getting that kind of loot out of this palooka?"

She shook her head.

"No. Now we're simpatico."

"Simpatico?"

"While you were gone I told him you can't help who you love. We've all chased after the wrong people at some point in our lives and there was no reason that this should ruin him. He shouldn't be hurt for who he loved. I told him I would fix this for him."

"If you say so. You're the boss."

"And don't you forget it." She snapped jokingly, pointing her right hand at me.

"I don't know who put him on to me. He never would say. I've picked up a few really nice cars and turned them in to private finders. This was probably just too big for them to handle so they just passed it to me directly."

"Poor old guy. He got played. He probably is really hurt. Too bad for him but worse for Mystic."

"Fuck Mystic. What a little asshole. This whole fucking hip-hop, pants falling off your ass, flashy arrogant lifestyle. I don't get it and don't want to get it. I've never even heard this talentless little jack-off but he looks dumb as fuck.  I can't imagine what Davenwood saw in that guy.  I mean he was a relatively good looking fellow.  He sure could have done better than Mystic."

Joy glanced at me, surprised by my admission.

"Strictly my opinion.  You can't help who you love I guess."

I stared out the window as we sped up the freeway thinking of Joy's working windfall.

"So Mystic and Davenwood are gay right?"  I continued.

"I guess," she shrugged.

"Sure made this outfit one hell of a waste," she said glancing down at herself.

"I mean Davenwood was. Mystic's always pictured with the ladies so I was surprised but I mean look at this contract I just got. Yeah, he's either gay or is one hell of a player. Wait till you see this list of cars. Either way, too bad for Mystic."

"And good for us," I added.

"That little bastard must be hung like a horse," I murmured.  

"And Joy, the outfit was hot too, wasn't wasted on me."