Part 41

Monday 11:12 PM

Wolf was listening intently, his hands clasped in front of him. It didn't look like it was going his way, but who knows? I had been in tight spots, too, where I thought for sure I was circling the drain, yet there I stood, more experienced but probably none the wiser.

One damn thing I did know for sure. Before the night was over, I would have a fist-to-face chat with some meat-headed son of a bitch named Billy or Rage or whatever disposable douche frat-boy name he had given himself. I've never been given to violence. It was always a last resort and always in self-defense. I knew what I would do was not right, not even chivalrous; I couldn't make that argument. That asshole had hit Joy and hurt her pretty badly. She was tough as nails and took every hammering pain in stride, but she was my friend at the very least, and no one does that to a friend of mine and gets away with it. And lastly, the thought of any man putting his hands on her in that way just infuriated me. I would deal with all of it later, but it would be taken care of come hell or high water.

My eyes were suddenly drawn to Wolf-man, whose motions had gone from resembling pleading to being that of someone with resignation. Again, there was that slight tinge of pain I felt for him. He was walking, head down, toward us. Sasha followed. I moved, and Joy slid the rest of the way off of the work-bench and leaned against it as I did.

Wolf-man flipped his phone open with finesse. He stopped short of us, but we could hear his voice clearly. I assumed he was telling someone on the other end, muchacho, to bring the Maserati and meet him on the street out front. He finished his short conversation and stepped back over to our little group. Sasha took his fat little hand and kissed it, then leaned over and hugged him tightly. I swear she had tears in her eyes—what a nutty-looking couple.

"So my deal is done.," he said in a husky and self-assured tone.

"I got what I came for, and you kept your end of the bargain."

He extended his hand, and without hesitation, I took it and gripped it firmly. When our eyes met, we both nodded acceptance or something to that effect.

"So I understand you are out sweet cakes?" He asked Joy.

"If we come up with the DB, I sure as hell am."

Wolf-man glanced up and over to Sasha, who nodded and smiled.

"You will get it. I know where it is. How you will get, it is, well, completely your problem." Sashas said, looking over to Joy.

"It is, too," Wolf-man agreed.

"What are you gonna do with the shack in the burbs, J-money?" He asked.

"Sell it; I guess," Joy replied.

"I won't be needing it. I'm through."

"I plan to buy it from you," Sasha interjected.

"We plan to buy it from you," Wolf-man corrected her.

"What the hell for?" Joy demanded.

"A studio, work-space for Peter, and work-space for me."

"Sasha's side hustle. Friends of friends of friends and all of them in expensive cars that they can't seem to pay for. She said none of these dumbasses have their money right. I'll have a partner on the inside," Wolf-man beamed.

"You two? You're going into business together?"

Joy was nonplussed but curious. I have to admit; I was too.

"Yeah, it's all about the percentages, J. When Sash isn't babysitting, she'll be on the prowl. It'll also give me storage here in Atlanta. A lot of money to be made here and with you gone, less pain in the ass competition."