Part 16

Wednesday 8:13 PM

Joy ordered Asian pear sangrias for both of us. In fact, she ordered our food, appetizers, and everything. I don't know why I was surprised. I say that because I didn't know her that well. She sure as hell could take the initiative, though. The way she handled that Hollywood wanker was artful, and I was still impressed.

"I freakin' love this place, Joy

"I freakin' love this place, Joy. Whatever this is, this Asian Mexican fusion, whatever the hell they call it. I'm hooked. Have you ever eaten at Chico Chan's?"

"No, I don't think I've ever heard of it."

"Same stuff, only they started it a few years ago. You can order Ala-carte; you know, chicken lo mein with a side of rice and beans if you want. Freakin' awesome. A friend took me." I paused in thought, but it fled quickly out of my mind.

"Anyway, I was hooked then, still hooked now. I'm going to dent your quarter mil starting right now."

"When did you decide you were going to leave town?"  She asked pensively.

Joy had that far-off stare planted on me. Like someone before her, she was just too pretty to look at for long. That was one of those times.

"A while back, months."

"Before or after you saw me?"

"Funny you ask that. I'm not sure why it would matter, but in many ways, because I saw you."

She smiled that kittenish smile of hers, and I just melted inside but kept my composure so I could explain. Our first round of drinks came, and I was glad for the support.

"So you see, Joy, I had been in a funk for a while, years okay, well, to be honest, a little over a year. Seeing you, no, noticing you was the kick in the ass I needed to get my heart beating again."

Again she smiled and began playing with the end ringlets of her beautiful cinnamon mane.

"Who was she?" She asked.

I shook the question off with no intention of going anywhere near that ball of yarn. But she wasn't about to let go that easily.

"The point is, Joy, I was interested in you. Yes, it was based on looks alone at that time, but that was enough to kick my life back into high gear and make some changes. I did. Hell, I bought the trailer and sold all my stuff weeks ago. I decided then what I was going to do. I looked for you, too, every day driving to that shitty job. Every time I went out, I looked but never saw you, not until you almost ran me over in that stupid Audi. Remember we discussed all this before?"

"You told me some of it. I didn't come anywhere near you either."

"Well, only 'cause I got the hell out of the way. See, my decisions had nothing to do with the actual you," I said, waving my hands around her shape as I talked.