W.M - Moral Of The Story pt. 1

Y/n Y/l/n

Flashbacks

New Years Eve 2020 11:30 pm

I'm currently sitting on the edge of the Stark Industries tower waiting for Wanda to show up. When we were in high school Tony had brought us to his dad's workplace to ask for his permission to have one of the conference rooms as a venue for the junior homecoming after-party. He had said yes and I remember Wanda and me sneaking out of the party to roam around the Stark building and we somehow made our way up to the rooftop. 

We only had a few minutes to stare at the city from a birds-eye perspective because we had set the alarms off since no one was allowed at the rooftop without a key card. Tony of course got scolded by his dad but so did Wanda and I, especially since I grew up with Tony and his family was like an extended family to me. 

Though we were told to not do that again, Wanda wanted to go back up to the roof to take her time and breathe in the air as well as appreciate the view from above. I of course didn't want to be scolded once again, therefore I had gone up to Uncle Howard one day and asked him if Wanda and I can hang out on the roof again. It took a lot of convincing but with the help of Tony's mother, Aunt Maria, I was able to persuade him. 

He had made a copy of the rooftop key for me and Wanda and from then on this rooftop became our safe haven. Wanda and I somehow fell into a tradition of coming up here 30 minutes before midnight on New Year's Eve to watch the fireworks and be the first people to greet each other of the new beginning. This has been a tradition since high school and we had never missed a year, not even when we had significant others to kiss. That's why I furrow my eyebrows when I look back down on my watch and notice it was 11:45 pm. 15 minutes before midnight and Wanda still isn't up here. 

The small intimate gathering of our friend group was downstairs at one of the conference rooms for the New Year's Eve party that we have every year, therefore I knew Wanda was here. Before I stepped out of the party, she and I made eye contact from across the room and I pointed at my watch to show her the time and she had simply nodded silently telling me that she'll be right behind me, but now that I've been waiting for 20 minutes it tells me that she definitely wasn't right behind me. 

I sit on the edge of the building and I watch as it strikes midnight, welcoming 2021. The roar of the people from the streets was loud, cars honking relentlessly, nonstop cheering, yet all I can hear was my heart breaking into pieces. I look back up at the sky and watch as the fireworks erupted into beautiful shapes and colorful sparks. The same electrifying sparks erupted in me, but not for the same happy reasons the fireworks in the night sky did. I wipe the lone tear that fell down my cheek and I notice it's been 15 minutes past midnight, 15 minutes into 2021, a year that'll inevitably be shitty. 

I jump off the edge back to the platform of the tower to make my way back inside and I check my phone to see if Wanda had at least messaged me but all I see was messages from everyone else but her. I guess Wanda did choose to stay downstairs as everyone's message to me was: I'm sorry. 

Little did I know, when I got back to the conference room their apologies were for something bigger. I enter the party confused as I watch everyone taking turns hugging Wanda and patting Vision's back. The door being shut caught everyone's attention making them turn towards me, "did I miss something?" I ask and I watch as everyone looked at me sympathetically except for Wanda and Vision. 

"Vision asked me to be his girlfriend when the clock hit midnight," Wanda shares excitedly. So that's why she stood me up. I feel everyone anticipate my reaction therefore I paint the fakest smile I could conjure, probably looking creepy, as I walk up to Wanda to congratulate her.