Thomas Hewitt (Fluff)

You've been living with the Swayers for a good while now.  You came across the dreaded farm house by mere accident and thank god Thomas took a liking to you.  Pulled you out of the wreckage that was the car accident you were in and nursed you back to health.  Of course without the knowledge of his family.  When Luda Mae discovered you chaos erupted in the house.  She however was very pleased Thomas and you had grown close and gave the over all ok to let you stay.  Some of your feelings for Thomas grew more from friendship to a place of yearning.  He was sweet and caring, he always put you first and never let anything bad happen to you.   The moment you knew you loved him was a very ordinary day.  You were sitting on the rocking chair in the bedroom Thomas had kindly made for you in his free time.  You liked to read the other southern love stories Luda had collected over the years.  Rocking yourself in the warm yellow glow of the sunset you read the romantic tale of a southern Belle being swept off her feet by a graceful doctor.  The warmth of the sunset and the inner warmth of loving love glowed on your skin.  Thomas sat there on the edge of the bed practicing his reading skills.  You've been teaching him over the corse of a few months that way you two can comfortably enjoy silence together and practice writing notes back and forth.  Thomas was reading full length books now equally in love with love and the grand southern love stories.  Suddenly a light plop in your lap grabbed your attention it was a note. Placing your book down you look over to Thomas who had a smug little grin.  You could tell his facial expressions now because how much time you've spent together. 
Would you like to join me for a walk after dinner?

The smile on your face was very evident excited to spend time with your silent friend.

"Of course.  I'd love too.  Maybe we can walk to the meadow and map the stars?"

Thomas nodded his head eagerly and suddenly rose from the bed and strode over to you giving your head a pat and leaning down to give your forehead a kiss. He had to go back to work.  The way he was so casually domestic made you blush.  Granted he didn't have words to express how much this friendship meant to him actions were the way he could.  So forehead kisses head pats and the occasional shoulder rubs were common displays of thanks.  As the orange red glow consumed the room you knew it was time to go downstairs and help the family for dinner.

That dinner was the same as the rest the family chit chatting about this and that.  Planning the rest of the weeks meals and Hoyt making crude comments about when Thomas will "man up" and finally "put a baby in that bitch".  That bitch being you.  You could feel Thomas' hand grip your leg and give a light squeeze as to reassure you to ignore Hoyt's dumb comments.  What was more interesting was that Thomas left his hand there.  Gently rubbing circles into your leg above your knee but not scandalously too high on your thigh.  Ever the gentlemen as always.  You decided to test the waters to confirm your feelings.  If Thomas really dose love you like you love him.  You gently place your hand from the table onto his lightly giving his a squeeze and looking over to him.  Thomas looks at you and tilts his head curious as to why your doing that. Then you wrap your fingers into his and place his hand closer into your lap.  He smiles and leave it there giving you a light squeeze back.  Mama could tell something was going on and dismissed you and Thomas from the table.
"Mama? Thomas and I are gonna go for a walk is that ok?"
"Oh absolutely.  Just stay clear of the road. Hoyt is  patrolling tonight."
"Yes mama."
"Don't be out too late now and have fun you two."
Thomas grabs your hand and leads you to the small path cut in the wheat field stopping right before the entrance he picks up a folded quilt and two pillows.
"Did you bring those for us to star gaze?"
He nodded pleased you knew what he was planning.
The whole walk Thomas insisted that he carry the quilt and pillows while his free hand held your nice and tight in his.  The cool autumn Texas breeze was a nice break from the sweltering heat and occasionally chilled you to the bone.  The clearance in the field was a common escape for both you and Thomas.  It was well hidden in the wheat that it was just far enough away where Hoyt wouldn't dare go looking.  The hard ground perfect for laying on.  Thomas laid the blanket down on the ground and placed the two pillows down together.  He laid down first and sighed finally having a moment to relax his aching body.  His eyes fluttered shut for a brief moment.  Then he opened them and quizzically looked at you wondering why you haven't taken your spot next to him.  You couldn't help but admire his massive frame and bulging muscles.  His hair was sprawled out onto the pillow in dark brown messy ringlets. You kneeled close to his head instead and settled upon stroking his hair.  It was soft. Way softer than you were expecting and had a distinct coppery scent to it that you have grown to adore. He grabbed your hand. Confused as to what you were doing.
"Thomas? Can I be honest with you?"
He nodded.
"I've had these feelings.  And I'm scared to tell you what they are because if you don't feel the same way I don't know how I'll feel."
This grabbed his attention he sat up quickly to face you placing your hands in his and on top of his lap.  Giving you a reassuring squeeze you took this as a sign to tell him exactly how you've felt.
"That day you dragged me from the wreckage and brought me home I thought my life would be over.  Like I thought I was going to die. Little did I know I wouldn't and I'd finally have a place I call home.  I'm not going to lie to you I was terrified.  Not only if you at first but what was going to happen to me. But when your hands went over my wounds and you cleaned away every bit of my blood that was the moment I knew I'd be safe. That was when I knew I shouldn't be scared of you. I still know when I'm with you I'm safe.  I've never felt this comfortable and sage in my entire life. I guess what I'm trying to say is whenever I'm with you I feel safe. I feel loved and I love you. Thomas Hewitt I love you."
His eyes welled with tears as he broke contact to pull his hands away and rip you off your knees into his lap.  The sudden movement startling you.  His grip around you was tight and as he held you  to him, you could feel him sob softly into your chest.  You didn't even realize you were climbing into his lap to pull his hair out of his face and wipe away his tears until you were there doing it.  Caring for him came second nature and it felt right.
"I hope these are happy tears Thomas Hewitt because I just poured my heart out to you." Jokingly you nudged him giving him a big goofy smile tucking a strand of hair behind his reddened ear.
He motioned you to lean in closer with one of his fingers. As you did you could feel his lips brush against your ear sending shivers down your spine.  As his strained voice was able to muster out "I love you too".