chapter ten

I stare up at the window, more specifically, the woman standing in it, staring at me.

Love.

With her trademark smile that I'd missed so much, I finally saw her again.

She looked...different, than when I'd last seen her. More mature, almost? I couldn't tell from so far away, but her hair was significantly different, and so were the clothes she was wearing. She looked more conformed, almost. More like everyone else here.

I look back at my phone again, hearing another ding. This time, it's not from Love.

alex: get there yet?

me: yep. dipping my toes in the pool now :)

alex: great! have fun <3

Alex was so sweet. So kind, so caring. So how could I not like her? How could I not love her? 

I look back up at the woman in the window, but she's gone now. I don't know where she went, but I can still see her, typing in our chat.

love: when can i see you?

My heart skips a beat when I read that sentence. She wants to see me. She still wants me. She still likes me.

me: i'm free now :)

love: come over, we can catch up

love: plus, i need saving from sherry and cary

What does "catch up" mean? I mean, there are two possible answers that actually make sense. One, she genuinely wants to catch up, see how I've been doing, and talk about our lives. Or two, she wants something more. She wants to be with me. 

I don't reply, she already knows I'm coming. I'd go wherever she asked me to. I put my shoes back on and head out the back gate, where I'd first met Love.

I walk around the back, thinking that was a better option that having to face the glares of dad and the woman in the kitchen, who were furiously debating something.

When I finally reach the front of Love's home, I pause for a moment, before knocking on the door. Is this really a good idea? Doing this while Joe is here? And Sherry and Cary? I mean, I'm sure nothing will happen because of those factors, but still. It feels risky.