Chapter nine

First I cut through 10 laps, then 13 then 15, all the way to 20. Me and running have always been well, and continue to progress. Not only did my father make me run, but I also ran to get out my anger, anxiety, sadness, or whatever was on my mind.

"You're quite the runner," Someone yells from across the room. Stopping I look over to see Peter pulling off his shirt and jogging over to me. "Mind if I join you?" He asks.

"Yeah, I don't mind, as long as you can keep up." I say out of breath. He nods his head and we start.

"So, who taught you how to run this fast?" He asks, panting.

"Myself." I lie.

"Right, like someone can teach themselves to run this fast and far. It takes years of practice and discipline to get this far." He replies coldly. I stop and turn to him, point my finger to his face.

"Listen, if you wanna run with me, fine go ahead, but I didn't say yes for you to taunt me and pester me with questions. If you wanna do that, maybe you should have stayed in candor, or gone to Erudite, because you are growing on my nerves. You are on a thin line, and if you continue to piss me off, you're off that line and in the bottom of the Chasm, understand." He nods his head and starts to walk away.

"I just realized, I have to help someone, you enjoy the rest of your time."

"Thank you." I reply angrily.

After running, I went back to my dorm, to find Tris and Christina sitting on Tris's bed.

"Hey guys." I say, sitting down next to Christina.

"We're talking about initiation." Tris replies, picking at her nails.

"Ah, yes, the body killer, what about it?" I ask.

"We're trying to find ways to improve, and so far, we have nothing." Christina says, looking at Tris.

"Well, first things first: Don't get distracted by others. Technically, don't judge yourself over others. That will bring down your concentration, and that will not be good. Second: When you have free time, work on whatever you need more help on. Don't drink or talk, spend time in the weight room, throwing knives, running, or whatever." When I finish explaining, both Tris and Christina have smiles.

"Thank you, so much." They say in unison. I nod my head and leave the room.

The next day was fighting: Something I knew I was good at. When my father was extremely mad, he would have me fight him. At first, for the longest time, he would win, but then I started getting better, and started winning. Looking at the partners for our matches, I smiled.

Scar-Peter

Christina-Molly

Tris-Will

Scar-Four

Nicole-John

Tyler-Wayne

(Some other people). My smile soon faded. Why was I fighting twice? Not only that, but why was I fighting Four? He was the best in his, initation, there's no way I'm gonna win.

"Alright! Everyone listen up! Today you guys are fighting one another. If you win, you win, if you lose, you're out, it seems fair!" Eric yells.

"That is not fair! You can't fight twice!" I yell back, stepping up to Eric.

"Are you saying you wanna fight me?" Eric asks, getting in my face. I take a step back and let out an angry sigh.

"No, I'm not, I'm just saying, there's no way I'm gonna win against Four."

"The you better try really hard." He replies, patting the top of my head. I roll my eyes, and start to walk away, but someone grabs my arm. I turn around quickly and pull my arm free.

"What."

"Listen, I don't you to be kicked out so I'll go ea-"

"Easy? You'll go easy? You bet your ass you're not going easy. You're going to put all your strength in, and if I lose, I loose. Don't make me look like a girl." I interrupt, then walk away. Meeting Peter on the mat, I get in my position. Peter does the same, but looks a little scared.  Eric signals, then we start. Peter takes the first move, trying to throw a punch, but I catch it, twisting his arm, then kicking his gut. He lets out a howl, then falls to the floor. I hover above him, punching him in the face. On the third punch, he catches it and kicks me in the stomach, I stumble backwards falls on my butt, giving Peter enough time to get to me and punch me repeatedly in the face. I kick him again, and he falls to the floor. I kick him in the side, before I realize he's passed out.

"Winner, Scar!!" Eric yells. Two men come and pick up Peter and carry him off. After watching two other groups ahead, it was my turn with Four. As we climb onto the mat, we get into position. Again, Eric signals, and we start. This time I throw the first punch, making it in the place I wanted it: The middle of the nose. I heard a crack, but that doesn't stop him. He throws a punch, but I catch it, doing the same to Peter, twisting his arm. He lets out a yell, but kicks me in the gut. I fall to the floor, and get kicked in the side 3 times, before I kick him back. I throw 2 more punches and kick him, sending him to the ground. I punch him 5 more times in the face, before I notice his eyes starting to close. Blood was running out of his nose, and down his head.

"Stop! You won Scar!" Eric yells running up to Four, along with 2 other men. I stumble off the mat, and watch Four being dragged to the hospital wing.