4: Bundle of Joy

I swept the cover of our hut to find Bucky was not here, and it felt like my heart had stopped, panic immediately seeping in. I came out, saw no one around our small area, and raced to the closest village. Bucky was talking with one of the villagers.

They showed him how to tie his wrap with one hand properly, and I noticed that the villager showing him was missing a hand. I took a deep breath and let it out before making my way over to them when one of the children ran up to me, pulling on my skirt to get my attention.

"White Wolf!" The child said to me, and I looked down, confused. "Will you come and play with us?" 

She motioned to the two other children in the village running around and chasing a few chickens. She pulled me by the hand, and I joined in on their game of chasing chickens with her and the other children, laughing the entire time.

When they saw Bucky looking over at us, they started chanting "White Wolf" and ran over to him. I started laughing as they played around him, circling him so he couldn't move around.

I watched as he let them climb over him, tackling him to the ground, and he laughed and played with them. It brought smiles to everyone watching the innocence among us, and I looked at Bucky with pure bliss.

He walked over to me with a huge smile on his face as the children all scattered, and he wrapped his arm over my shoulders.

"You looked like you were having fun," I teased, and he rolled his eyes at me.

"So did you," he said.

It was getting late, and the children were told to go inside and get ready for bed, so we said our goodbyes and started walking home.

"The children like you," I said to him, letting the setting sun hit my face. "You're good with them."

"That's not something I thought I'd ever hear in my lifetime," he chuckled.

"What?" I asked. "That mean and scary Bucky Barnes is good with kids?"

"Pretty much," he laughed. "I never thought about having kids.

He looked over at me and smiled. 

"Not until I met you, at least."

"Well, I never saw you as mean and scary," I said softly as I kissed his shoulder, wrapping both of my arms around his as we walked, resting my head against his shoulder. "You've always just been Bucky to me."

"Even when I tried to kill you?" He asked, raising a brow at me.

"That doesn't count."

We walked in a comfortable silence for a moment, and I felt Bucky sigh against me.

"They called us White Wolf," he chuckled and took his hand in mine.

"It must be official now," I was just happy no one was calling us the Winter Soldiers anymore, or worse. "Or maybe it's easier than Bucky and Hazel."

His laugh was light-hearted and genuine. I had missed it so much; hearing it again was my favorite part about being here. It was like the old Bucky was shining through.

"I like it," he said.

"I do, too," I told him, looking up to see his steely blue eyes staring down lovingly at me. "And I like you."

He chuckled, pressing his lips to the top of my head.

"Is that so?" he asked.

"Mhmm," I bit down on my bottom lip and smiled seductively, dragging him into the hut with me.