5: Family Reunion

The longer I had to think about it, the better I felt about the pregnancy. 

I felt like I had a bit more bounce in my step as I raced home to tell Bucky the good news. When I reached our little hut, I realized that he wasn't there or anywhere around. I looked around the tiny space and sighed as I hoped that this time around, I could feel somewhat at ease, that I could actually experience being a mother.

I wanted to be a mom.

I wanted Bucky to be a father.

I wanted this to work so badly for us. 

I went over to the farm, thinking Bucky must be working closer to the village, and saw him hurling piles of hay while feeding the livestock. I skipped down the hill to him, practically throwing myself at him.

"Someone's in a good mood," he said dropping the hay he had in his hand and wrapping his arm around me. "You finally beat Ayo in a match?"

"I did, but that's not why I'm so happy," I said wrapping my arms around his neck and pressing a sweet kiss to his lips.

"Then what has possibly gotten into you?"

"I have news," I said. "Good news. Great news, even."

"Spit it out, doc!" I unwrapped myself from him and grabbed his hand.

"I did it," I said. "I mean, we did it."

"We did what?"

"We're going to have a baby, Bucky..." I placed his hand on the center of my stomach. "I'm pregnant."

Bucky's eyes went wide, looking between my stomach and my face so many times I thought his eyes would pop out of his skull.

He was silent, and I couldn't tell if he was happy or not with my news.

Was he not as excited as I had hoped?

My face fell.

Bucky scooped me up in his arm and spun me around, kissing me all over my face. We both laughed as he spun us, and all of my nerves seemed to have just melted away.

"You're pregnant!" Bucky laughed.

And then our happy moment ended when we heard a familiar airship carrying the King of Wakanda flying toward us.

T'Challa was accompanied by Okoye and two of his king's guards. They carried a large case with them, setting it down on a pile of hay as T'Challa walked over to us with Okoye right behind him.

No one looked happy about their visit.

I watched as Bucky stared at them and down at the case in front of him. 

"Your Highness," I bowed my head at him, greeting him formally.

"I hear congratulations are in order," he smiled kindly at me.

Good news sure does travel fast around here.

"Thank you, sir," I smiled back. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Unfortunately, I am not here for pleasantries," he said, his smile fading back to a flat line. He led us over to the case, and I heard Bucky suck in a sharp breath before they even opened it.

Like he already knew what was inside.

 I looked inside the case and saw the new shiny black vibranium arm with golden trim. It was beautiful, but I didn't understand why he was just now getting a new arm and why Bucky seemed disappointed to receive it.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"It is time," T'Challa said with a deep breath.

Time? Time for what?