1. Home Sweet Home?

Bucharest, Romania, 2014

The snow on the ground indicated that winter was here, which meant the holidays were quickly approaching. The streets were set up with wreaths and garlands, and bright-colored lights littered the city. If the cold weather wasn't enough to inform us, the posters on the lampposts were sure to let everyone know of the festivities soon to come.

Christmas time was here...

How could I forget my least favorite time of year?

I couldn't even if I tried.

"Hazel?" A warm and welcoming voice brought me out of my sour mood. I stopped my brooding out at the city below and turned to give all my attention to my steely-eyed soldier.

My Bucky.

"It's freezing out here," he said, coming to wrap a fleece blanket around me. "What are you doing out here?"

I forced a smile, peeling myself off the fire escape to join him back inside. The warmth from our tiny apartment was a comfort, along with the steaming hot mug of coffee Bucky handed me.

"Thank you."

"You okay?" Bucky asked.

I nodded my head, taking a small sip of my drink before walking away from him to sit on the couch.

"Your silence says otherwise," he said, watching me from the kitchenette. He turned the radio on a low volume just as the croony voice of Bing Crosby began to sing 'It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.' "Oh."

"This song is a lie," I grumbled into my mug.

"I know," Bucky sighed before taking a seat beside me. "It doesn't have to be, though."

"How's that?"

"Well," Bucky stopped mid-sentence to plant a soft kiss on my cheek. "For starters, this is the first Christmas we get to spend together. So, we have that to think about."

I tried to fight the smile making its way to my face as he continued.

"And I got you a present," he said. "So, there's that."

"You did?"

"I did."

"What is it?" I said eagerly.

Bucky rolled his eyes at my impatience before handing me a small, red leather box. I looked up at him curiously, to which he only smiled as he told me to open it. Inside the box revealed a small plan band woven in an infinity hoop.

"Oh, Bucky," I gasped.

"I said I'd get you a ring one day," he said with a grin. "I'm a few decades late, but I figured it was the thought that counts."

"It's beautiful," I said with tears in my eyes, blurring my vision. He helped me put it on, taking my left hand and sliding the band onto my ring finger. "But now I feel guilty."

"Why?"

"I feel my gift is going to be severely underwhelming."

"You got me a gift?"

"Of course I did," I told him. "I may not like the holidays, Bucky, but I'm not a total Grinch."

I got up from the couch, leaving him to stare at me as I dug through the closet near the front door to find the small trinket I had gotten a few days ago from the market.