one.

( a friend to be made

( a friend to be made. )

────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────

kou looked out the window. he had nothing to do except stare at the flowers in full bloom through the clear glass as birds chirped. he rested his head on the glass lazily. sighing softly, he turned to look at the empty seat in front of him.

"alright, class," said his teacher. kou fixed his gaze to the front of the classroom, only to see the boy from the other class, sousuke mitsuba standing next to his teacher. he looked to the ground, fiddling with his longer sleeve.

"i'm sure you all know mitsuba, he had just transferred to our class, so treat him nicely and make sure he feels welcome. you can go sit at that seat, mitsuba. in front of minamoto," he paused and rose a finger toward the seat in front of kou. "please, take a seat," he finished.

sousuke awkwardly walked towards the desk, and quickly glanced at kou before seating himself. "for our first lesson of the year, how about you all just get to know eachother, yeah? or just catch up while i settle some stuff." spoke his teacher.

usually, he would be grateful for this kind of opportunity, but yokoo and satou were practically across the room from him and he hadn't exchanged even a single word to anybody in his nearby vicinity. that sousuke boy hadn't spoken at all, so kou decided to speak to him.

"hi, you're mitsuba aren't you?" kou asked, tapping his shoulder. he turned around and nodded politely. "yes, i am, do you need me?" kou shook his head. "nope. i guess i would just like to talk to you!" sousuke's eyes widened in shock. "oh... yeah, okay."

"what's with the grumpiness?" kou said. "sorry, i'm not used to being in this class... i'm a little scared." sousuke looked to the ground in shame. "it's okay, i'll make sure you feel welcomed. let's be friends!" kou held out his hand politely, sousuke stared blankly at the boy in front of him.

they shook hands and kou could feel sousuke's were shaking. he must have been nervous, but kou knew he had to make sure his new friend doesn't feel out of place. "so, what do you do in your free time?" kou smiled at sousuke. "photography," he replied. "what about you? what do you like do?"

there was a small smile plastered on sousuke's face as he said that. "i don't really have a favourite hobby, i like video games, and i cook for my family. i really like making desserts!" kou said, returning the smile. "that sounds interesting... well, i'm just going to do something else now." sousuke spun around and took out a notebook and pen.

kou was disappointed. he had wanted to befriend the boy and get to know him better, but he had just turned around and started doing.. something! this was his only chance, he said to himself in his head (though it definitely wasn't).

"mitsuba-kun, what are you doing?" he said as he walked up to his desk. he quickly received a response. "drawing." said sousuke, not looking up from the notebook in front of him. "but... we were in the middle of a conversation!"

"conversation my ass..." sousuke rolled his eyes. "you know i can hear you, right?" huffed kou, taken aback by the rude remark. he had not expected the kind-looking boy to turn out so rude.

"look, i didn't ask you to talk to me so don't get so defensive when i get tired of you. it's stupid, you're stupid!" sousuke snapped. kou was saddened by this, for he had wanted to make friends with the new student. unfortunately for him, sousuke was stubborn and that was not kou's fault. unsatisfied, he returned to his seat to peer aimlessly out the window.

──────────────────────

the day had gone by quickly. it was around 4:00, and kou was on his way home. it was a rather dreary day, and kou's brother was busy with things which did not concern him. he was walking tiredly, though he suddenly stopped in his tracks. he spotted a shop selling appetising sweets, and he couldn't resist.

he checked his wallet to see if he had any spare change. luckily, he had just enough for a slice of cake and decided to treat himself for his day was far from good. the incident at school still left him upset.

he ordered and paid for the slice of red velvet cake. he sat down at a table by himself, enjoying every mouthful of the cake. his happiness would soon vanish though, for a familiar face would enter the cafe. it was a drenched sousuke.

kou desperately looked for an empty seat, and would not end up finding one. he watched the soaking wet boy order a flan, praying to god that he would take his order and leave.

kou watched as sousuke failed to find a place to sit and to his dismay, they locked eyes. sousuke walked up to him. "would you mind if i sat next to you? i really need to sit down..." kou sighed. "sure. i was going to leave soon anyway." muttered kou. "thanks, i guess"

sousuke scooted next to kou and flashed a quick awkward smile. "um, if you don't mind me asking... why are you soaked?" kou questioned sousuke. "i left my umbrella at home, obviously. what do you think, i'd make the decision to get myself dripping wet?"

"wouldn't put it past you," kou teased. "though... you could've asked me. i wouldn't mind walking you home or at least to this cafe." sousuke turned away from kou, as he took out some books from his bag. "weirdo." he started doing his homework while shovelling flan down his throat.

"why aren't you looking at me?" kou asked, recieving nothing but a groan in response. "come on, can we have at least one normal conversation?" sighing, a flushed sousuke turned to kou. "aww, you're blushing! so cute!" kou teased. "i absolutely do not want to walk home with you. i don't know why you care that i walked to a cafe in the rain one time!!" sousuke screeched.

"oh come on, you'll catch a cold!" kou argued. "i'd rather catch a cold than walk home with you." sousuke retorted. "you're really getting on my nerves, you know?!" sousuke rolled his eyes. "oh boo hoo, poor you." sousuke placed his books in his bag, having finished all of his homework.

he had got up to leave, before kou intervened. "please don't tell me you plan on walking home without an umbrella and getting yourself drenched again." kou grabbed sousuke's hand. "so what if i am? and plus, what else can i do? i have to get home somehow."

"just... let me walk you home. for my sake, please. i don't want you to get sick." kou smiled. sousuke turned his face away once again. "okay... fine. walk me home then. as long as it'll shut you up."

their walk was silent. after all, nearly nothing could be heard due to the loud pattering of the rain. what was the point, anyway? even if kou asked, sousuke wouldn't have said anything worthwhile. the downpour had made up for any loss of conversation. the two focused on their individual thoughts—until they reached sousuke's house.

"i guess this is where we part ways," spoke kou. sousuke nodded. "yeah... see you around, i guess." sousuke shut the door, and by the time he could stare out of the window, kou had vanished into the dark street.

sousuke's smile widened.