CHAPTER VII

Cecelia was kept sedated for the entirety of the flight to the airport and the flight back to New York. However, as she lay on the bed in one of the guest rooms in her Great-Aunt Claire's house, she slowly-but-surely began to stir.

Cameron.

Cecelia sat bolt upright as the sedatives finally wore off, screaming her daughter's name.

At the sound, Cameron—who was asleep in a crib next to Cecelia's bed—woke up and started crying loudly. Cecelia reacted to this instantly, leaping out of the bed and scooping the child up in her arms. "Sh, sh-sh-sh," she murmured, rocking Cameron gently. "It's okay. It's okay. Mommy's here."

Cecelia rested Cameron's head against her shoulder as she cried, looking around nervously. Where am I? she thought. This place looks familiar, but...

Suddenly, the door to the room creaked open, making Cecelia spin around and instinctively clutch Cameron tighter.

"Oh. You're awake," Ariel remarked, giving Cecelia a wrinkly smile.

Cecelia swallowed hard. "...Aunt Claire," she whispered. "What's going on?"

"I was just about to explain," Ariel responded, beckoning to her great-niece before turning and heading out of the room. "Come, dear. I have tea waiting at the fireplace."

Cecelia looked around again, her fear remaining. There's something in here, she realized, a chill running down her spine. Something I can't see.

At that moment, her religious roots kicked in, and Cecelia began to frantically whisper a prayer for protection from whatever was lurking in the house unseen. Then she hurried after Ariel and shut the door behind her.

-

As she headed toward the living room, Cecelia took note of all the artifacts lining the walls of Ariel's hallways. They all seemed to have to do with angels, the occult, or other religious tenets.

"Quickly, dear, quickly," Ariel called as she settled in the chair in front of her fireplace. "I'm old. I don't have much time left, so I can't afford to waste any of it."

Cecelia didn't respond. She had noticed Zuriel standing next to the fireplace, his hair a shimmering silver instead of the black it had been ever since she'd known him. His cyan irises seemed to glow in the flickering light of the fire, and he wore a stony expression on his scarred face.

"Don't mind the bodyguard," Ariel told Cecelia sarcastically. "Even if you are married to him."

At that, Cecelia quickly and jerkily pulled off her ring before throwing to the ground at Ariel's feet.

Ariel and Zuriel both stared at it blankly. "What a statement," Ariel grumbled, bending over with an exaggerated groan and picking the ring up. She inspected it for a moment and glanced at Zuriel. "Really, Zuriel? You gave her a nephilium ring? You explicitly told me there would be no enhancements to the experiment."

"She was not wearing it when the child was conceived," Zuriel responded calmly.

Ariel frowned. "Hrm. I suppose it's alright, then." She began moving the ring between her fingers skillfully, fixing her gaze on her great-niece.

"Let me out of here," Cecelia hissed, glaring at Ariel.

"Can't do that, I'm afraid," Ariel replied in a bored tone, watching the ring as she moved it around. "We have some explaining to do first." She raised an eyebrow and added, "That is what you wanted, isn't it?"